Help me ! My parrot fish just laid eggs :D

Sh4dY

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2015
India
Guys I am new to MFK !
I need help and advice on my new parrot pairs. The female has laid eggs inside a terracotta pot which I think is their new nest.
They laid those eggs like exactly a day ago. I have also read not all parrot MALES are fertile.
Should I wait for eggs to spawn/decay ? Any piece of advice is helpful !
I can give you more INFO about how I got them and so on.
Sorry for bad English, am really excited XD:nilly:

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
First off congrats, and welcome to MFK! :) Just observe and leave be, hopefully the eggs are fertile, if this is their first spawn it may take some parents a couple times to get it right. Please keep us updated!:)

Sh4dY

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2015
India
First off congrats, and welcome to MFK! :) Just observe and leave be, hopefully the eggs are fertile, if this is their first spawn it may take some parents a couple times to get it right. Please keep us updated!:)
Wow. Was not expecting such a quick reply ..
BTW,
Yea they are a new couple. Is it possible for a 4" male ( counting head to tail end ) and 3.5" male to reproduce ?
The male defends really well, they take turn by turn chance defending eggs. The tank only has the couple and a pleco, pleco is really small but annoys the male quit often. Thats it for now I guess and I'll keep you guys updated !
Thanks for the reply :D

Sh4dY

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2015
India
Day 3.
Guys a bad news. All the eggs were eaten by female parrot.
What could cause this.? And as posted previously by me. Can a parrot of this size reproduce.?
Here is the pic from today morning.
They are not even close to the nest.
http://imgur.com/P7hR6rI

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Did you see her eat them?
At the time for hatching the parents sometimes chew the young out of the egg, and hide them in a pit (often very stealthily)
The young may be moved 2 or 3 times by the parents.
During this time ( as wrigglers) the live off their yolk sac (another 2 or 3 days)
If you then see the parents guarding a school of fry, it is time to feed.

Sh4dY

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2015
India
Did you see her eat them?
At the time for hatching the parents sometimes chew the young out of the egg, and hide them in a pit (often very stealthily)
The young may be moved 2 or 3 times by the parents.
During this time ( as wrigglers) the live off their yolk sac (another 2 or 3 days)
If you then see the parents guarding a school of fry, it is time to feed.

Yes I definitely saw female clearing out rotten eggs, the solid white ones. I let her do that and after I while I went out, when I came back 20 mins later everything was gone. I clicked the pic then.. Also both the MALE and FEMALE roaming in the full tank so I think least chances of frys being somewhere in tank ? :confused:

Sh4dY

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2015
India
Ohh, I was so excited about this post, but then as I was reading the replies I felt bad for the eggs.
I hope there is a future succesful spawn, not far from now!
Wish you the best,
-NP
Thanks a lot. It's been almost 10 days since last batch. I guess the fish will lay once again in a week. I am better prepared this time for the eggs. Extra 20gl tank extra space and I rearranged the aquarium to give more space to hide and 2 flat beds for eggs. I post the pics once I am home. Let's hope the best. :'D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store