What would you stock in two 33 gallons?

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Scored a pair of 33 gallon longs (48"x13"x13") with glass tops and a double decker 48"x13" stand all for $150 and I'll be getting it at the end of the month. Still debating what to stock in them. If I have good luck with plants until then then I'll proabaly use one a planted community with angels, tetras, otos, etc. The other I'm thinking of using as an oddball tank with smaller Knifefish, spiny eels, mormyrids, etc. But I'm open to any suggestions and I'd love to see one as perhaps a wet pet tank. So here's my questions.

1) If I go with an oddball community, what fish would be best suited to it?
2) If I want a wet pet then what personable, active, and intelligent fish could go in a 48"x13"x13" tank for life, or at least for a long time? (Open to any type of fish)
3) Let me know if you guys have any other suggestions!

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Scored a pair of 33 gallon longs (48"x13"x13") with glass tops and a double decker 48"x13" stand all for $150 and I'll be getting it at the end of the month. Still debating what to stock in them. If I have good luck with plants until then then I'll proabaly use one a planted community with angels, tetras, otos, etc. The other I'm thinking of using as an oddball tank with smaller Knifefish, spiny eels, mormyrids, etc. But I'm open to any suggestions and I'd love to see one as perhaps a wet pet tank. So here's my questions.

1) If I go with an oddball community, what fish would be best suited to it?
2) If I want a wet pet then what personable, active, and intelligent fish could go in a 48"x13"x13" tank for life, or at least for a long time? (Open to any type of fish)
3) Let me know if you guys have any other suggestions!
A CICHLID !!! Lmao just joking

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
A CICHLID !!! Lmao just joking

Lol. I am open to a cichlid though, willing to give them another try as long as there aren't any catfish in the same tank :)

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
I love these size tanks and have 7 of them set up. Good price on the dual setup you bought!!!

Most of mine are set up as Tanganyika shell dweller tanks though a couple also have the smaller sized Cyprichromis or Rainbowfish for the top water swimmers. I currently am stocking 'Lamprologus' multifasciatus, 'L.' similis, 'L.' caudopunctaus, Altolamprologus 'sumbu shell', Neolamprologus obscurus and Telmatochromis vittatus.

I think Angel fish will be too tall in the long run especially after you add substrate.

I think there are quite a few choices available for these size tanks. An eel type tank would be awesome. I can just picture a tank full of Kuhli loaches swimming everywhere!

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Cool check out cryptoheros nanolutes i think a pair would look great in there.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA

I am considering a pair of panamensis plus a small shoal of some CA livebearer. My friend has a breeding pair of the "Norway strain" that shows extra red and pink so I might see if I can get some fry from him and let them pair off.

elting44

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2007
Salina, KS

I think a pair of one of the following types: convicts cichlids, rainbow cichlids, t-bar cichlids (cryptoheros sajica) would do well in a 33g. They have very interesting personalities and behaviors and typically spawn fairly easily which is fun to observe.

my 2 cents

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
i had a 3ft 35 set up with hemichromis, spiney eel and cory cats like this;
[video]https://youtu.be/tNjXgfpdVxw[/video]

would have to stick too 3 5 stars long term i would think, mine are in a 100g now but there are 10 now!-)

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Not ruling out cichlids whatsoever, but any more non cichlid suggestions? I like the butterfly fish idea listed towards the beginning but a single one in a 4' tank with no other fish seems boring.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store