Eclipse / Solar / Sunspot Catfish

Aiglos

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2005
Petawawa Ontario
Hey All, I have an Eclipse catfish in a 55 gallon tank right now, My question is more for awareness, I am looking for other people who keep these catfish who would like to get in contact with me to share stories and advice, I cannot find much information on this catfish even though it appears to be a popular fish store catfish. I have a 130 gallon Oscar tank that my catfish will go into once he gets larger, he is about 3" right now.

Has anyone had any experiance with this fish rubbing up against other fish? He was housed with an oscar and a buttikofferi before and would rub up against both of these fish, right now he is housed with a pleco and seems to like even rubbing up against the pleco, He doesnt rub against anything else except other fish.

For those who havnt seen or heard of this catfish here are some links.

http://www.aqualandpetsplus.com/Catfish, Sun.htm

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/bagridae/horabagr/159_f.php

Thanks all.

iheartfishies

Im Angie
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2005
Northern VA
vvvp.dynu.com
I have a 4 incher with a Butti , Fh, Festea and Polleni.
He hides unless I drop flakes, shrimp pellets, or frozen food in there.
Actually, he eats everything.
Then he's all out and about and stealing food from them.
He never comes out and touches them though, unless food's involved.
He's a pig.

Aiglos

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2005
Petawawa Ontario
Thanks for the feedback, I never see mine eat, although he has quite the belly.

Does anyone know the real max size they top out at ? what size tank you do have them in ? how does your buttikofferi get along with him

thank you

iheartfishies

Im Angie
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2005
Northern VA
vvvp.dynu.com
I've heard they can get 10 inches. I've read inbetween 10-12.
So, honestly I'm not very sure.
They're all in a 75 for the time being.
They all get along great with the eclipse cat.

Aiglos

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2005
Petawawa Ontario
Thanks for all of the info, I think I will be very happy with this fish, I didn't know they were a schooling type fish, thats good info, it would explain him always trying to swim with the other fish.

I think this will be a good fish if it tops out at 8", that is perfect size for me, I want a nice large catfish, BUt I dont want it to be a tank buster like a channel catfish.

Thanks all

wickedpayara

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2010
florida
Hey bro they are awsome fish. I have 3 of them in a 75 gallon flowerhorn tank. They are nocturnal feeders so if u want them to grow fast, drop some worms in the tank after the lights go out. You will see the cats fatten up and grow really fast. i also keep a sandy bottom tank. they do better in sand than gravel. You can buy big bags of leveling sand at home depot for 3.50 a bag. Rinse it very good befor putting in your tank and diffuse water flow with a clay pot when you fill your tank. they need rock ledges and drift wood to hide under. add this too your tank and you will see good results with all of your fish especially your cats. Later bro, Wicked payara

Thalan

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2008
jacksonville
I have one in a 75 with bichirs and other cats, hes about 7" at 1.5 to 2 years old. I usually see max size listed at 12" but I think someone here had an 18" monster but I'm sure thats pretty rare. I also keep mine over sand (black 3M colorquartz) and he has tuned completely black in my dark tank.

juanitoman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2011
texas
i use to have one for about 2yrs that grew to about 6"
it grew real slow only about 2 inches in those 2 yrs.
i had it with a 9" four lined pim, a silver dollar, and a 12" oscar.
the osar would try to bully the pim & silver dollar, but seemed to be
buddies with my sun cat.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store