return help. back siphoning !!

tanyaelec11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2012
canada
I recently finally set up my 240 with a sump. I am new at this ..I unplugged the pump to make sure the sump would not overflow if there was a power outage because where we live it happens a bit with the summer storms. Anyhow, my DIY spray bar has decided to siphon the water and I almost overflowed my sump !!! What can I do to fix this thanks !

f22

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2012
Keep the holes above the water line, or drill a small hole above the water line to break the siphon.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
I recently finally set up my 240 with a sump. I am new at this ..I unplugged the pump to make sure the sump would not overflow if there was a power outage because where we live it happens a bit with the summer storms. Anyhow, my DIY spray bar has decided to siphon the water and I almost overflowed my sump !!! What can I do to fix this thanks !
Check valve or you can drill a small anti siphon hole just before your spray bar gets submerged. This will allow air to be pulled into the return to break the siphon if for whatever reason the pump shuts off

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

tanyaelec11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2012
canada
I also know this sounds weird but does anyone have a visual example of this ? Thank you

Progar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2014
Hoover, AL
A check valve would require cutting your return pvc piping and cementing the valve in place. Drilling a hole will not require you to purchase the check valve or leave the pump off for a day while the cement cures.

The hole would be drilled just above where you water line is. When the unit is running it will have water coming out of the hole but if the pump ever stops running then the hole will take in air instead which will increase your odds of stopping a syphon from occurring.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

annamarie92

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2015
NC
Thank to google, here's a rough diagram. You can drill the hole anywhere above the water line.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1429161919.265060.jpg

Bud8Fan

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2006
Nebraska
Thank you I will definitely be drilling a hole or would a check valve be better ?
A check valve is not a 100% guarantee as they can fail. Drill a hole.

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
I agree with Bud, skip the check valve. You cannot count on them, they fail often. How far below the water is the spray bar? Is it possible to raise a little closer to the surface? The hole will help, but I never liked that solution. It can get blocked

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Just mark your sump for its maximum water level incase the returns back siphon.

I rrun my 40 gallon sump about 2/3 to 3/4 full with a 90 display, no issues.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store