WOULD I STILL NEED TO CYCLE THIS TANK? HELP!

Mihajlo525

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2015
Canada
Hey guys, I hopefully in the near future might plan on upgrading my 120 gallon to a 180 gallon when my kelberi Peacock bass grows. But the problem is I don't have anywhere near enough space to cycle a 180 gallon tank. What I want to know is since I'm using all the same substrate and sponge filters, if I used the same water as well (then just add another 60 gallons of dechlorinated water to fill it up) would I still have to cycle the tank? Since there would still be cycled substrate, sponge filters, and about 67% of cycled water. Also another slightly less important question. The guy I have my eye on buying the tank from is selling a 180 gallon with a stand and canopy for $850. the tank's about 8 years old btw. What I want to know is would I have to replace the silicon if I bought it from him? If so I'd ask for a price reduction. And lastly what should be the appropriate thickness of glass for a 180 gallon 2/3 of an inch? CAN ANYONE HELP ME ON THIS?

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
Nope your good to go
My 180 is 5/8 thick but debends on if it's braced or not. Replace the silicone if it's that old I wouldn't trust it personally it could last a day could last another 8 years

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
Hey guys, I hopefully in the near future might plan on upgrading my 120 gallon to a 180 gallon when my kelberi Peacock bass grows. But the problem is I don't have anywhere near enough space to cycle a 180 gallon tank. What I want to know is since I'm using all the same substrate and sponge filters, if I used the same water as well (then just add another 60 gallons of dechlorinated water to fill it up) would I still have to cycle the tank? Since there would still be cycled substrate, sponge filters, and about 67% of cycled water. Also another slightly less important question. The guy I have my eye on buying the tank from is selling a 180 gallon with a stand and canopy for $850. the tank's about 8 years old btw. What I want to know is would I have to replace the silicon if I bought it from him? If so I'd ask for a price reduction. And lastly what should be the appropriate thickness of glass for a 180 gallon 2/3 of an inch? CAN ANYONE HELP ME ON THIS?
5/8s braced I believe. My old old old 180 was braceless and it was 3/4".

850 for a 180 gallon that old is way to expensive in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Mihajlo525

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2015
Canada
5/8s braced I believe. My old old old 180 was braceless and it was 3/4".

850 for a 180 gallon that old is way to expensive in my opinion.

Really? Thanks! So should I resilicon it? And what would be a reasonable price. Could I trade a 40 long tank, and the 120 tank along with a certain amount of money for the 180?

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
Really? Thanks! So should I resilicon it? And what would be a reasonable price. Could I trade a 40 long tank, and the 120 tank along with a certain amount of money for the 180?
It needing reseal would depend on how the tanks been treated.

I don't know what the seller would take as a deal.

A brand new 180 is 599 at big Als. I don't value a stand and canopy to highly especially if it's old.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I wouldn't sweat the water too much. There's aged water, but not really "cycled water" the water column doesn't harbor a significant amount of beneficial bacteria.

I'd do a large water change a day or so before the move. Then your fish are acclimated to what is closest to fresh tap water from a PH and hardness standpoint.

The price seems fairly steep unless it comes with alot of goodies. I'd pony up an extra couple hundred bucks and go brand new with everything all around.

If you switch substrate and filters you shouldn't have to worry about cycling the tank. Just keep an eye on parameters just in case.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store