Thinking of adding more filtration to my tank, Brute can idea, need lots of help.

Pataphysicist

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2014
Boynton Beach
Looking to add more filtration to my 220, not like I need it but hey why not? can't go wrong with filtration overkill. Here is my idea, don't really know how to design it or put it together, but I think am in the right track.

Somehow I would like the water to enter from the top and go into the tank from the bottom. Media will be in this order from bottom to top.

Pond Matrix by seachem
Lava Rock
Pot scrubbies
Coarse Pond Media
Filter Floss
Plastic Trickle Tray

I guess I need you guys for a good design :/ Pump needed / Size of pvc pipe/ Lmk please

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
You do realize that adding more bio media will not yield greater bio filtration, if its already adequate (0 ammonia, 0 nitrite). You can overkill mechanical filtration, which I'm all for, but bio will be dictated based upon your stock/waste level

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I figured I got a 32G Brute Bin, can't just fill it all with floss O_O. Maybe replace lava rock with more scrubbies -_-
Why not?

I would actually go filter socks over floss to make maintenance a snap

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I figured I got a 32G Brute Bin, can't just fill it all with floss O_O. Maybe replace lava rock with more scrubbies -_-
Why not?

I would actually go filter socks over floss to make maintenance a snap
If you want more bio filtration, throw in a pothos plant into that bin to suck up that nitrate.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
You don't have an existing sump? I was going to suggest a bio reactor. Your tank isn't drilled at all? Makes it harder but not impossible. I love sumps/wet dry filters. If you can hook one of those up that would be a great start, after that use that 32 gal brute for a bio reactor.

Sent from my Z10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Pataphysicist

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2014
Boynton Beach
You don't have an existing sump? I was going to suggest a bio reactor. Your tank isn't drilled at all? Makes it harder but not impossible. I love sumps/wet dry filters. If you can hook one of those up that would be a great start, after that use that 32 gal brute for a bio reactor.

Sent from my Z10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

No i run 2 x SunSun's 304b and an Eheim 2262, my tank is not drilled and honestly am being clueless about how sumps/wet/drys work. Is the reason am reaching out to you guys -_-. I mainly want to use this brute for massive water polishing. So mechanical mainly, some bio wont hurt.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store