Want to get into fish keeping business.. Tips?

Joecool44

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2015
New Jersey
Ok so me and my buddy have decided that we will open up a fish store it will have fresh and saltwater fish and from beta to silver and black arowanas! Now my question is do I need a permit or any type of license to open up a fish store? I plan on breeding most of the fish I sell I'm just in confusion cause my freind told me I need a fish distributors license and I looked it up and it's just for selling fish as food, so do I need any kind of permits for professional fish keeping? Thnx

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
I could be wrong but i think you need some type of vendor license.

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
Don't want to burst your bubble, but this is probably the worst time to open up a tropical fish store. Long time established stores are closing left and right due to a lack of business, competition from the internet and big box stores, etc.

However, if you do decide to give it a try, you will have to register your business, get a NJ state tax ID (these are best done with the aid of a lawyer). Check with the municipality the store will be located in for any permits needed. Get insurance. Make sure you have enough capital. Ditch the idea of breeding your own fish (not worth it in the long run). If you plan on importing fish you will need an importer's license.

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
If you like having money in the bank, a social life, and keep your passion for the hobby, don't do it.

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
Best to find a small spot. Not to public. Cheap cheap. Breed select high end fish and reach out to local stores and online sales. There's no big money to be had in a big fish store. Big chains are to hard to compete with.

But breeding select high end fish and importing fish. That's and other story.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
Best to find a small spot. Not to public. Cheap cheap. Breed select high end fish and reach out to local stores and online sales. There's no big money to be had in a big fish store. Big chains are to hard to compete with.

But breeding select high end fish and importing fish. That's and other story.

There are no cheap store rents in New Jersey. Location is very important. An out of the way place gets little traffic. You have to sell a lot of fish and dry goods to cover your expenses. It is tough. Why do you think fish stores that have been in business for 20+ years banged up? Route 4 Aquarium, Rainbow Aquarium, Pet Shanty, The Fish Tank, Animal House, and the Pet Place to name a few, all closed within the last few years. I am sure there are more.

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
Not worth it. Raise fish and sell them
Out of your house. To make a living having a store front is going to be tough.

ballinouttacntrol

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2009
Eugene, Or
There are no cheap store rents in New Jersey. Location is very important. An out of the way place gets little traffic. You have to sell a lot of fish and dry goods to cover your expenses. It is tough. Why do you think fish stores that have been in business for 20+ years banged up? Route 4 Aquarium, Rainbow Aquarium, Pet Shanty, The Fish Tank, Animal House, and the Pet Place to name a few, all closed within the last few years. I am sure there are more.
I think he meant for breeding and holding imports. . Not a brick and mortar store front

Jdreal21

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2014
Miami fl
If you like having money in the bank, a social life, and keep your passion for the hobby, don't do it.
im with shook if you are really passionate about it dont make it a job you'll eventually lose your passion with the stress of owning a store better to turn out a garage or shed to a bussiness you dont have to pay extra things making more a profit which is hard already in this hobby/business just my opinion i would like to see what people have to say because im debating doing something like this in the future

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
I think he meant for breeding and holding imports. . Not a brick and mortar store front

That's exactly what I meant. Find some tiny unit and setup some racking. Breed and import high end only. It's the only way your going to make good money. The second you have to pay for overhead of a retail store your already losing the battle.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store