How to get rhom off live food

theskibag

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2011
Galway, Ireland
Hi,

I was struggling with my rhom's diet before this but he managed to get past my divider and ate some of the live fish so now he's back to preferring live.

I had him eating small bits of salmon but nothing else.

Is there any good way to get him back taking frozen?

My plan is to offer him small bits of white fish fillet or some silversides/lancefish every second day until he takes one of them. I'll take the food out after about an hour if he doesn't eat it.

How does that plan sound?

Also, the same fish went on a hunger strike for three weeks. What's the max amount of time I can leave him without eating and I have to throw him in some feeders? Really don't want to risk giving feeders so hopefully he won't hold out too long.

Thanks for the help

Alan,

Geryi

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2015
France
Hi,

According to my experience, any fish can be fed with frozen. But sometimes it requires a lot of time.
If healthy, a rhom will always accept frozen, but you have to be patient! A rhom can fast during 6, 8 weeks without problem and when hungry the fish will eat.
Try to propose shrimps, mussels, fish fillet, or entire frozen fishes, changing every two days. And give the food after the lights turned off.

theskibag

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2011
Galway, Ireland
Good news, my rhom started eating the last day. Didn't take him too long, 2 - 3 weeks. He's eating hake fillet and silver sides/lance fish so delighted.

Thanks again for the help :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store