I'm trying to figure out about brown pool filter sand.

timetraveler22

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2014
Miami
So, I'm slowly trying to leave the "general" beginner aquarist design on my freshwater, and part of it is changing the substrate. I'm not going to explain the reasons behind it, so I can get straight to the problem. I'm looking for pool filter sand as my main substrate. But I'm not interested in the pearly white sand that is usually sold. I've heard of brown pfs, but I've never seen it, and I don't even know there truly is an earthy brown colored pfs. So I would like to know if it truly exists, where would I be able to find it, what types of pfs should I avoid(sterilized, purified, any chemical additives...), and if there isn't a brown pool filter sand, is there another cheap product that I can use(since I've heard somewhere of using abrasion sand).

When I actually get the sand, how should I wash it, and replace my old substrate with my new substrate.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee

You wash it just like any other substrate, rinse a number of times until water runs clear.
But what I do, is rinse it when I'm doing a water change, siphoning old tank water into a bucket of sand, and dumping the silty water.

timetraveler22

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2014
Miami
Amazing, I'm on their website, but I'm confused on how to order their aquarium sand. A little help? :confused:

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I don't use aquarium sand, but I just go to my local abrasives dealer and get 50lb bags of filter/industrial sand, for about $5 each.
The dealer supplies water filtration plants, and sandblasting services with material.

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana

You wash it just like any other substrate, rinse a number of times until water runs clear.
But what I do, is rinse it when I'm doing a water change, siphoning old tank water into a bucket of sand, and dumping the silty water.
This is what I have in my 235 and love it. I'm impatient so I rinsed once and ran my diatom filter to clear up the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store