Interesting biotope ideas

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
Hey all!

I'd love the hear your ideas for unusual, or very specific and accurate biotopes. I feel like often when people say "biotope" they just lump all fish from a continent together, as if all the fish from South America regularly run into one another. I am interested in doing one or two with some spare tanks and seeing how I like them. Put your suggestion down!

Rules:
The following tank sizes are the options for the biotope: 90g/75g, 55g, 40g breeder, 45g/38g, 29g, 20g long, 20g, 10g, 5g. (Those are the sizes of my extra tanks).
Must have at least two fish species.
Must be fish that at least could conceivably live together in the wild - e.g. overlapping ranges and environments.
Include info on aquascape and if there are any plants/invertebrates that would work.

Also be creative, I'd love to hear about unusual biotopes! Post pictures too if you have one of your own, or if you have found good pictures online.

Go

souzie

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I have a Rio Negro biotope.

One of the most important aspects of this system is the driftwood as this is what gives the water it's brown color.

In the Rio Negro, there is very little aquatic vegetation and no floating plants...just sand, driftwood and leaf litter.

My tank is based on the Rio Negro Igapo or the Blackwater-flooded Amazonian Forest...

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I have a Rio Negro biotope.

One of the most important aspects of this system is the driftwood as this is what gives the water it's brown color.

In the Rio Negro, there is very little aquatic vegetation and no floating plants...just sand, driftwood and leaf litter.

My tank is based on the Rio Negro Igapo or the Blackwater-flooded Amazonian Forest...

View attachment 1070832

View attachment 1070833

Awsome aquascape ! :) I bet the shoal is less nervous in the blackwater.:)

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
Sweet! I am personally not a fan of piranhas but you could almost convince me to become one!
One of my top choices I am considering is a Convict cichlid biotope. Most people consider them trash fish but I really like them and I think done right a group could be gorgeous +super cheap! Other fish I'm considering working around that I already have in community tanks or have access to:

Rainbow cichlids
Keyhole cichlids
Cryptoheros nanoluteus
Krobia xingua (sp??)
Apistogramma cacatuoides
Ptychochromis oligacanthus
African Dwarf Frogs
Stiphoden gobies/hill stream loaches?
Any other interesting oddballs??

Any thoughts on these options?

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
My Biotope focus on 2 points: Top and bottom species (my tank till on working progress).
So I'm using some drifwoods and fast grow tall plants like green fox tail, red tiget lotus (draft water lily), short and medium tall plants are Java Fern, Anubias.
Those tall plants will become my water surface cover for some bottom shade spot and will be top predator cover and ambush hunt.
I'm aim to keep bottom area for bottom predator like wolf, and top predator Hepsetus Odoe :D

**the above picture took sometime ago, so as it stand now the water lily leaves covering almost half of the right side top water surface and the green fox tail cover the left half tank water surface.

IMG_0134.JPG

Belly up

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2008
Wolverine, MI
Quo Vadis, Anyone that considers any fish trash regardless of how common, well lets just say their opinion has little value to me. If you like convicts now try keeping some outside over the summer, you will be amazed at their colors when you bring them back in.

I have a hillstream set-up, fifty gallon tank with six reticulated loaches. I LOVE THESE FISH! They are very entertaining to say the least. There is a lot of info on the web so no sense in me going over it here, but I would encourage you to look into setting one up yourself. You can decide which fish you like the most then figure out what is found with it. I know there are shrimp found with some of them too since you want an invert too.

elting44

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2007
Salina, KS
Sweet! I am personally not a fan of piranhas but you could almost convince me to become one!
One of my top choices I am considering is a Convict cichlid biotope. Most people consider them trash fish but I really like them and I think done right a group could be gorgeous +super cheap! Other fish I'm considering working around that I already have in community tanks or have access to:

Rainbow cichlids
Keyhole cichlids
Cryptoheros nanoluteus
Krobia xingua (sp??)
Apistogramma cacatuoides
Ptychochromis oligacanthus
African Dwarf Frogs
Stiphoden gobies/hill stream loaches?
Any other interesting oddballs??

Any thoughts on these options?
Here is my 55g 'Rio Matina' Costa Rican Biotope, it contains a breeding pair of convicts and a 2 female rainbows (looking for a sub-adult male to grow out)

If you are looking for inspiration, member Nutty on MFK has the best Costa Rican biotope aquarium, in my opinion. His had a number of veija, c.sajica, and at one time there were some really cool swordtails too, I can't recall, I will try to find it, it really is stunning.

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
Well it looks like Convicts and Rainbows would overlap in the wild, along with Green Swordfish, so that would be pretty cool. Only thing I may be worried is whether the Cons would be too aggressive for the Rainbows, but the one Con I have right now is really very peaceful... but then she is not breeding.

It doesn't look like Stiphodon gobies and Hillstream loaches would overlap, but if I break my own rules and go more general, I think a goby, loach, and White Cloud "Asian" stream tank with crazy strong current would be sweet.

It looks like Krobia would overlap with Lemon tetras in the wild, so that could be cool. They have been one of my fish I have been interested in breeding, so that setup might work nicely to do that.

Keyholes are another favorite of mine I wouldn't mind trying to breed... trying to figure out which tetras they overlap with or if they overlap with any Apistogramma.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store