New bolt cat

eyespot

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2007
Williamstown, MA
FullSizeRender (1).jpg
I've been looking into picking up one of these guys for the past couple of years and finally took the plunge. Picked up this gorgeous healthy guy at 7" from Jeff Rapps and really glad I did. He's a gorgeous fish with a bluish purple sheen when the light hits him right and he's settling in nicely in my 125. It's a shame these guys aren't more readily available given their personality, good looks and manageable size. Had to show him off:).

FullSizeRender (1).jpg

eyespot

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2007
Williamstown, MA
Thanks! Sweet scarlet pleco in your avatar, Vincent. I just realized I used the word gorgeous twice. Got swept up in the moment.

eyespot

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2007
Williamstown, MA
Thanks! In the long term these guys guys would probably need at least a 125. I think they max out around 13 inches. From what I've read and from observing my guy they're fairly sedentary and tend to hang out in a favorite spot unless it's feeding time and they swim around in a frenzy looking for food. Supposedly they're fairly slow growers and I've read from a couple of sources that you don't want to get one below 6 inches because the younger specimens tend to be sensitive and prone to a certain type of fungal infection. The real trick is finding them. This is the time of the year to keep your eyes peeled for the new stock lists on the MFK vendors forum or sites like aquabid.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Congrats i love these cats
Good luck

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store