What media should I use in Fluval 306?

Sonofthunder

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2015
Alaska
I'm new to canister filters. Got a used Fluval 306 for the new 75-gal that I'm setting up and really like it so far. My question is, what media do you use in the stackable trays? Right now I have the "stock" setup with foam on the bottom, fluval's ceramic bio media in the middle, and carbon in the top. I was thinking of swapping out the carbon with another set of bio media. Pros/cons? I never used carbon in my old 90-gal tank, which had a sump, so I am wondering if I'd be better off packing as much biological filtration as possible. This tank will be housing severums tetras, and a convict.

jmolter86

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2015
bristol, pa
Take the carbon out and get some eheim substrate pro. It's a little pricey but good bio media. You could do form- bio- bio or foam- bio- polishing pads. I personally don't see a use for carbon unless removing meds or impurities. Really it all comes down to how you want to use your canister filter. I have 2 canisters running on a 55. 1 xp2 that is mostly mechanical filtration but does have a little bio media in it just in case something happens to my bio filter. The other filter has a small bottom layer of foam and has about 6 of those eheim substrat pros dumped in it along with ceramic rings and bio balls.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Carbon is pointless in most isntances unless you have something that you are trying to remove from the water, like medicine, or a foul odor, or w/e

I have a couple 406's and I set the bottom tray up with a coarse sponge. It was actually a block from an Aquaclear 110 that I cut up. I found the fluval egg crate foam was too fine and clogged very fast, and was difficult to rinse. The other trays are full of bio rings. Don't overfill the trays too full or it doesn't seat right and the motor head won't fit tight.

On my other brand canisters (sunsun) that have larger bottom trays I just use filter floss pofly fill stuff and rings above

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
As far as submersed media goes, Bio Home and Marine Pur are the best, IMO. Sera Siporax and Eheim Substrat Pro are close runner ups and much more economical.

Sonofthunder

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2015
Alaska
Thanks! I'm gathering that regardless of which type of bio media is used, it'd be advisable to replace the carbon with a second tray of bio media.

jmolter86

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2015
bristol, pa
If I was you, yes I would put as much bio media as you can fit. If for some reason you did need to run carbon you can always throw a hob onto the tank for a few days. My tap water has a high phosphate level. After I do a big wc I'll put a emperor 400 with only chemical media(phosphate remover) on the tank for a day. This way I don't have to unnecessarily mess with opening the canisters.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store