Best Fish For Eating The Algae That Grows On Artificial Plants???!

DeathStalker

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2015
United States
I end up with a mossy-like algae on my artificial planets that I'd really like to get rid of *naturally* - what would be the best fish for this? They would have to be fairly large, as I do have Convicts and 2 LARGE Marble Gobies. Would prefer upper-third schooling types.

Thanks!!! :)

DeathStalker

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2015
United States
Also, what are good fish for digging around in medium-small gravel? Please don't say loaches, because loaches are TOO much like nightcrawlers, which is a primary food source for my fish.

Thanks!

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
For gravel I would say a small group of Corys. For the plants a flying fox or two. What size is the tank?

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
common pleco or gibby. they do most there work at night, and do need wood in the tank and supplements in the form of wafers. they get up to 24" but grow very slow. my largest is 14" and a good 5 years old. they do poop in ropes but easily vacuumed, they will also help keep the gravel and extra food cleaned up. i love them but not for every one.

DeathStalker

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2015
United States
I have a 20" spotted pleco that does nice work on the glass and other objects, but ignores everything else. Cories don't get large enough (though I have one surviving Emerald that's been through HELL with some other fish, but kept on going. Maybe I need a whole school of them. How big do Flying Foxes get?

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
I have a 20" spotted pleco that does nice work on the glass and other objects, but ignores everything else. Cories don't get large enough (though I have one surviving Emerald that's been through HELL with some other fish, but kept on going. Maybe I need a whole school of them. How big do Flying Foxes get?
I had a school of 20 Emeralds in my 225 SA tank. FF get about 5".

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store