Best way to worm a fish tank?

4D3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Australia
I have had my tank running for a while now, I recently adopted a fish and now im noticing lots of white stringy things in the water.

they are all roughly 1cm long and they are about the size of a hair in width.

How can i worm my tank and all the fish?

the tank is 300l in volume.

thanks in advance

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
The best thing to do is cut back on feeding, increase water changes and substrate vacuuming. Don't use meds or chemicals to get rid of them, the mass die off will foul the water and through your parameters out of balance.

4D3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Australia
My tank has no substrate, I vacuum the detritus every morning.

I feed twice a day currently, should I cut that back to one every 2 days?

Also I have a massive filtration system, so it would cope with anything thrown at it.

Tank is 300l, I'm running am Eheim 2264, which outputs 80% direct to spray bar, 20% through a 40w in sterilizer then to a50 micron filter then to 500ml Purigen, and a 2l moving bed.

Sent from my SM-G900F using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
What kind of fish do you have?

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Use Prazi if you want to go that route.

4D3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Australia
Use Prazi if you want to go that route.
You can vacuum all you want and that's not going to get rid of them. They are all inside your filters. Depending on what kind you have they may be harmless nematodes. Prazipro may or may not work. Some of those suckers are tough.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Thank you both for responses.

I couldnt find Prazi, but i manage to get some Levamisole, would that work?

I found this link HERE which has very detailed information about using ​Levamisole, but i thought i would check with you guys to see if that is going to do the right thing for me!!

Thanks in advance

Kivstev

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2009
Massachusetts, USA
If they are detritus worms you can get rid of them just by cutting back on feeding and extra gravel vacs. I've successfully gotten rid of detritus worms on my glass. I wouldn't be throwing in levamisole unless you have camalanus worms sticking out of the fish. It's not like prazi or metro and tends to be tough on the fish in my experience. ID the worms first. "Feed the fish, not the tank" will usually get rid of the worms or most of them so you won't notice them if they are detritus worms. Planaria on the other hand should be eradicated.

Planaria and detritus worms are often confused. I believe you have detritus worms by your description, but I'd need a pic to be sure.

4D3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Australia
If they are detritus worms you can get rid of them just by cutting back on feeding and extra gravel vacs. I've successfully gotten rid of detritus worms on my glass. I wouldn't be throwing in levamisole unless you have camalanus worms sticking out of the fish. It's not like prazi or metro and tends to be tough on the fish in my experience. ID the worms first. "Feed the fish, not the tank" will usually get rid of the worms or most of them so you won't notice them if they are detritus worms. Planaria on the other hand should be eradicated.

Planaria and detritus worms are often confused. I believe you have detritus worms by your description, but I'd need a pic to be sure.
Hi,

Thanks for the message, I've tried to get a picture but they are so small and white I can't really get them, they are in the water column not on the bottom or sides.

They are all about 1cm long, white, and floating around.

I am guessing that prazi is the only safe way to go.

I can get prazi paste that is used for horses, it's only active ingredient is prazi, the rest is flavoring.

What dose of prazi should I use on a 300l tank? How many mg/l should I use?

Sent from my SM-G900F using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store