Beani Cichlids

MajesticMatt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2015
California
Anyone know anything about these? I just wanted to know about these guys but there isn't much info about them. What's their minimum tank size? How big do they get? How can you prevent bloat? What is their ph and temperature preference? Can you keep any tank mates with them? Thanks everyone :)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
I've seen one over 12". I believe they prefer lower temps and diets high in veggie matter when young to prevent bloat. I've never kept one though. That's just what I've seen others do with theirs.
They're also known to be pretty aggressive. Intolerant of tank mates.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree with ehh, mine spawned at temps in the high 60s, and became prone to disease in summer when temps hit the 80s.
I started with a group of 8 in a 150 gal, and as soon as the alpha male hit 3" he became rather aggressive toward all others except 1 female, that he spawned with.
After he started killing others I removed them to separate tanks to save their lives, where would tolerate no tank mates.

young female above in spawning dress above, below the alpha male

when they spawned she was quite small, maybe 3"

the fry seemed to want to start killing each other at 0.5"

I found after a while a divider was needed even for the pair that spawned, to keep him from killing her

Reactions: LifeT

NorCaliCichlids

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2008
California
I consider myself an advanced hobbyist and even I am reluctant to buy them anymore. Bloat is a real problem. Having said that I have 2 'white' Beani that are in a divided 135g. Awesome looking fish that can be frustrating as hell.

LifeT

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2019
I bought a 4" Beani recently and put him in my 180g that currently has a 10" jaguar, 8" JD , 7" blood parrot and a 3" green terror , the green terror had both the jaguar and jd hiding and running away from him I think there was something wrong with that green terror his aggression was next level and loved fighting , my other fish did fight back a few times but seemed they didn't have the energy to keep up with the little guy, anyway I put beani cichlid in with them all and as predicted the green terror started bullying him when ever he came close , this lasted 1 day then the beani decided enough is enough and started to fight back , I beani when angry is focused on one thing and one thing only fighting and neither was backing down but the beani was certainly winning, I already plan to move the beani asap as this fish doesn't back down once it has decided to fight a certain fish , my jaguar see's him off at the mo but this will not last at a guess , the beani is always with or around the jd but again I believe from my limited experience with these that they are best kept separate, that being said my fish tank is very calm now the gt has a new home and I've seen no aggression from the beani since and my fish tank is currently calm and all swimming around open but that 1 fight I watched was enough to know the beani seems different to the other cichlids .

LifeT

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2019
Well the Beani is now in his own tank , he started nudging my male jd ( the one he's been hanging around since I put him in) my JD nudged him back eventually and that was it fight ! I sat back and watched hoping one would win and the other would accept it I mean that's how it normally works but like I said before the beani doesn't seem to want to fight it wants to kill and won't let the other fish accept defeat and just keeps chasing and attacking. Since I have removed the beani he seems a little depressed , he used to eat like it was a race in the 180 community but now in his 55 he dont seem bothered and just eats bits n Bob's no where near like before. I'm also running his tank at 24.5 degrees as opposed to the 26 in the 180 I did this temp change over 2 days when I first put him in , do you think he's sulking and bored or do you think he has early signs of bloat from pigging to much in the 180 he used to be in until a couple of weeks ago.

I also read some sort of scientific report on these fish and they kept so many in different tanks at different temp ranges I think it was 26 degrees 28, 29 & 30 . And they said the ones kept in 30 degrees were bigger stronger fish compared to others in the lower temps of 26 which we are all told is there upper temp limit , also it stated that although some were caught in 26 degree water many was caught in 30 degrees water , are we all doing it wrong from what we've read and hence why we all lose so many? Do they usually move from cooler to warmer water to eat ? No matter which fish site I get info from it almost seems copy and pasted from the last one I read and this report is the only thing I've read that says anything different. These fish thrive in the wild , any have any personal experience which didn't end in the fish dying young ? I'd appreciate any tips and insight to what you done to successfully raise them to full size , mine is currently approaching 6"

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Well the Beani is now in his own tank , he started nudging my male jd ( the one he's been hanging around since I put him in) my JD nudged him back eventually and that was it fight ! I sat back and watched hoping one would win and the other would accept it I mean that's how it normally works but like I said before the beani doesn't seem to want to fight it wants to kill and won't let the other fish accept defeat and just keeps chasing and attacking. Since I have removed the beani he seems a little depressed , he used to eat like it was a race in the 180 community but now in his 55 he dont seem bothered and just eats bits n Bob's no where near like before. I'm also running his tank at 24.5 degrees as opposed to the 26 in the 180 I did this temp change over 2 days when I first put him in , do you think he's sulking and bored or do you think he has early signs of bloat from pigging to much in the 180 he used to be in until a couple of weeks ago.

I also read some sort of scientific report on these fish and they kept so many in different tanks at different temp ranges I think it was 26 degrees 28, 29 & 30 . And they said the ones kept in 30 degrees were bigger stronger fish compared to others in the lower temps of 26 which we are all told is there upper temp limit , also it stated that although some were caught in 26 degree water many was caught in 30 degrees water , are we all doing it wrong from what we've read and hence why we all lose so many? Do they usually move from cooler to warmer water to eat ? No matter which fish site I get info from it almost seems copy and pasted from the last one I read and this report is the only thing I've read that says anything different. These fish thrive in the wild , any have any personal experience which didn't end in the fish dying young ? I'd appreciate any tips and insight to what you done to successfully raise them to full size , mine is currently approaching 6"
I would make your own thread, this one is 5 years old and people are less likely to scroll to the end to see a new question
I have not kept beani long term but I believe duanes duanes has

Reactions: Magnus_Bane
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store