What Sized Drain Pipe For 500-600 GPH?

need2ball

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
So I'm aiming for about 500-600 GPH flow in my tank, most likely about 520 ideally though. I know 1" is rated for 600GPH so it seems like I'm cutting it kind of close.

Should I be using 1" drain holes or should I go 1.25" which are rated for 1,000 GPH.

Please no guesses, only reply if you know for a fact and/or have done this before. I'm setting up a 4 tank system based on this and don't want to do it based on a guess.

Thanks!

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Id go do a single 1.5" or drill a pair of 1" holes. There's no real need to run a drain so close to capacity. If you're gonna take the time to drill a tank just drill it large enough to suit your needs. Any screw up or blockage is gonna put that 1" over the edge.

I think alot of people will disagree with me but 600gph is really pushing it for a 1" pipe. Unless you're running a full siphon, 400 gph is more realistic

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
2-3/8" is right for a 1.5". You need a 1-3/4" hole for a 1" bulkhead, it's really not that much bigger.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/BulkheadFloRateArt.htm

This is a really good article. ^

Basically a 1" will flow 360 gph or so before it becomes a partial siphon. That's when the drain makes alot of noise gurgling and flushing. It's switching back and forth between an open channel drain to a full siphon, there's not enough flow to maintain the siphon and it breaks, then there's too much flow to maintain the open channel drain, and it fills back up again and the siphon restarts. You see what I'm getting at.. one day something may partially block the drain and the partial siphon may not restart and you've got water on the floor. On a multitank system the consequences are higher.

I have no problems running 1" drains well over capacity, but if its the only drain on the tank then you are just asking for trouble. It's very True you can push well over 600gph Through a 1" drain. I've ran 1700gph through a 1" full siphon and a 3/4" open channel drain (durso) on a beananimal setup with a second 1" dry stand pipe acting as an emergency drain

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I use 1.5" bulkheads, because anything smaller is too easily plugged.
From years of experience all it takes is a snail to partially block a pipe, a dead fish, an uprooted plant, just about anything builds up, and the tank overflows.

this is a 1.5", I even watch them like a hawk.

need2ball

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
Thanks guys, now I'm really glad I made this post before I did anything as this is the first time I'm trying to plumb tanks together. So if I was way off on those holes I might as well run the other lines by you guys too.

Here is a diagram of what I'm planning.

1) How big do I need the red pipes and the blue pipes if I'm planning on about 500-600 GPH for each tank (probably closer to 520GPH though)?

2)Can I stick with the 1.5" pipes for the red pipes even though the first tank will be joining the second tank before it hits the wet/dry?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
When I combine tank flows, I make the main line (your red line) larger, I run 1.5 into a 2" line.
Your 1st (top tier) could be 1.5, but just at, or after the 2nd tier, I'd go larger just to be safe.

need2ball

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
Okay, sounds good. I'll make the red lines 2" all the way through unless there is a benefit to making it go from 1.5" to 2" after the top tank. Is there any other benefit except a slight cost savings?

How big should the blue pipes be? I'm thinking 1" should be good, can someone tell me if that would be okay?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store