Acetone to remove silicone

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
The corner joints on this 300 were clamped so tight together that I can't get a knife or even Floss down the seam. Is it okay to let them soak in acetone ?

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
Assuming you are removing all of the silicone, yes. Acetone won't leave any residue on glass (assuming you mean pure acetone, I can't speak for something like acetone based nail polish remover)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
Assuming you are removing all of the silicone, yes. Acetone won't leave any residue on glass (assuming you mean pure acetone, I can't speak for something like acetone based nail polish remover)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
I bought acetone from the hardware store. I am trying to dismantle the tank completely. But these corner seams seem impossible

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
It seems that The panels are so tight together that the acetone isn't doing anything. This is getting frustrating does anyone have any ideas ?

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I'd normally say a heat gun, but you may shock and Crack the glass.

have you considered letting the acetone sit for a long time?

Glass is pretty tough, maybe a stronger solvent (that wont stain the glass) may be in order.

I've never had this issue, I dunno, all the tanks I broke down were already falling apart

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
I have been soaking the seam with rags for a few hours now. No effect.

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
Scrap glass now. Corner of bottom panel cracked about 1" in. Have never been so frustrated in my life. I'm about to take a hammer to it

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
how about scoring the edges with a box cutter or something to get the acetone to work in.
I have All silicone possible cut off and have wedged the knife and have gone through countless blades there is no room for the acetone to work. I'm surprised the panels are even together the silicone layer between is so thin

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store