L600 pleco dead

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Guys any ideas of what could have killed him ? Water is fine tested with api test kit weekly. Tank mates are pearsei, heterospilus, spotted raph cat, and L200

No one messed with him as he was pretty aggressive.
Every now and then he would get into it with the pearsei but would usually end in the pearsei getting his but kicked.

Feed nls, massivore, and once a week frozen krill

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Pics
Assuming he was torn up after he passed
uploadfromtaptalk1429371315083.jpguploadfromtaptalk1429371324114.jpguploadfromtaptalk1429371333146.jpguploadfromtaptalk1429371392766.jpg

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Bump

Been eating fine and not hiding at all

Could it have been a pathogen ? No stringy poop.

Mods can we move this to the pleco section ?

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Never though of that ehh, i just dont wanna make sure its nothing i could have done better....found another one available

Jer

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2010
Colorado, USA
In my experience when a pleco doesn't hide at all prior to dying it's starvation. Either from not eating at all or eating but not having the proper enzymes in their gut to properly break down the food present so they never get the actual nutrients they need. Lots of times the former is due to stress (lots of time their belly/eyes are already sunken in upon taking delivery) and the latter is due to broad spectrum chemical treatment often times for unrelated issues of tank mates by sellers. Either way, losing a pleco never gets easier.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
In my experience when a pleco doesn't hide at all prior to dying it's starvation. Either from not eating at all or eating but not having the proper enzymes in their gut to properly break down the food present so they never get the actual nutrients they need. Lots of times the former is due to stress (lots of time their belly/eyes are already sunken in upon taking delivery) and the latter is due to broad spectrum chemical treatment often times for unrelated issues of tank mates by sellers. Either way, losing a pleco never gets easier.
Jer thanks for the response. This is the crazy thing, he ate like a pig and his belly was rounded always looked full. When i first got him he looked a bit malnourished but the fish was always aggressive looked totally healthy. It was the only fish that the pearsei wouldnt annoy during feeding time the l600 would attack quickly.

I could understand if the fish was sick or acting strange but this really has me pissed i try and take care of all my fish just like i would take care of my dog.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Those with l600 do you perform large wc ? I do about 75 to 80 percent every 5 to 7 days

Would that have anything to do with it?

PseudaSmart

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2013
Michigan
Sorry you lost a pseuda with a personality. Once they reach 6" they are almost indestructible. It's unlikely that the WC was the cause as the L200 would be the first affected.

Your first photo shows Aquascaping close to the glass and it looks like there are some undercuts in the sand. It's my guess that it got stuck somewhere and suffocated. The belly being messed up was started from being trapped. I saw you have a Raphael but the damage is shallow so agree that a fight was unlikely.

I know your cat has spines also but usually those are to keep large predators away. There is a video on my YouTube channel showing how pseudas use their spines to spar. FYI I have never lost a large pleco to fighting.

jim

MoNsTeR FiS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2014
USA
I would guess the cause was starvation because my first l600 got a sunk in belly after 3 months of doing great and then one day he stopped eating and died.

For my second L600 he is fine when I go in my 450 gallon to vacuum the gravel and when i fill it up i run out of hot water so the temp after the water change is about 70 farenhight after the wc. When i got him at an auction at the CatCon he was in a bucket for 2 days and was fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store