Silver Arowana

JackGreen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2013
Blackburn, England
Just put my order in at the local lfs for a baby silver arowana expected to be ready in a few weeks. (I am fully aware how big they can grow don't worry.)

Never kept them before so it's a new adventure for me, was wondering if anybody has any keeping tips for a noob as myself. It will be going in my Amazon tank with an Albino Lemon Oscar, Two Geophagus Altifrons, Wild caught Silver Dollars, Striped Raphael Catfish, and Bristlenose Plecos. I did have a Black Ghost Knifefish until that passed away so will be looking to replace that in a few weeks with a larger more less awkward one.

Also, as you can expect I am super excited so SHARE your pictures of your Silver Arowana's or any of the other fish I listed. Mine are all only babys so would like to see the potential haha.

Also share any stories as to how you got them, rescued, bought, caught yourself, what they are like in your aquarium etc. :)

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
The only concern I personally have for your baby Aro is that it will have a hard time getting food. If possible grow it out in a separate aquarium first, and feed floating food 's.:)

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
I got my first baby aro a couple of weeks ago at ~4" he was already eating pellets. He has really filled out in two weeks and is now every bit of 6" already. He eats Hakari floating carni sticks, mealworms, frozen silversides and NLS pellets. Pretty much anything that hits and floats long enough for him to engulf it. I personally love this fish he comes right up now and takes food from my hand. it's a great looking fish too nice color for such a young fish.

I also have a BGK about a foot that only comes out at night.

JackGreen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2013
Blackburn, England
How do you find the Aro and the Ghost get on? Heard mixed things about keeping the two together but the majority seem to agree they are good together.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
I only had the aro for a short time and it's only 6". Honestly I don't even think that each knows the other exists. The Aro swims along the surface and the Knife is in it's "log" all day, zero interaction.

JackGreen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2013
Blackburn, England
Yeah I thought that would be the case, from anything I have seen I rarely have ever seen an aro swim far from the surface so if they keep out of each others way there wont be any problems at all. To be honest I think any nay sayers are just doing what we all know aquarium hobbyists can be like. "Ohhhh you can have that with that because they aren't the same species." I hate them people because they couldn't be any more wrong if they tried, more often than not keeping two of the same species is just calling for a war in the tank haha.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store