Tank causing structural damage??

BHARDON24

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2013
Nj
So a couple weeks ago we got the 90 gallon set up. I wanna say March 21st or 22nd. It is on the second floor sitting room, above the living room. The whole thing probably weighs about 1200 pounds in total, tank, stand, water, and gravel. We got the fish in(its a native tank) recently. I noticed a couple days ago a tank shaped cracking in the ceiling, right where the tank is above the living room. Too much of a coincidence. I think it has something to do with the tank. I really don't want to cause any structural damage to the house or have this tank come crashing through. The house was built in 1874 if it helps. Here are some pics:
Screen Shot 2015-04-18 at 5.33.56 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-04-18 at 5.34.12 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-04-18 at 5.34.12 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-04-18 at 5.33.56 PM.png

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
Oh man. Drain it as much as possible if not tall the way. That is scary

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
That looks like a plaster and lathe. I think it is causing damage but not as much as you might think. I'm not saying don't move the tank it should be against a load bearing wall at least. Plaster and lathe would be cracking and falling apart if it was way to heavy. Move that tank or figure a way out to support the tank from underneath. I have my 180 against a supporting wall and jack posts in the basement.

Burbotman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2006
Canada
Is the tank running parallel or perpendicular to the floor joists?

Makes a big difference. Way back when, I set up a 75g on the second floor with out paying attention to the direction of the floor joists. Noticed soon after filling that when someone walked by the tank the water level would sway........ Drained and moved tank to perp and no issues

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
Is the tank running parallel or perpendicular to the floor joists?

Makes a big difference. Way back when, I set up a 75g on the second floor with out paying attention to the direction of the floor joists. Noticed soon after filling that when someone walked by the tank the water level would sway........ Drained and moved tank to perp and no issues
Good point I forgot to mention that is the way my tank is set perpendicular to floor joists

TankDempsey

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2012
Third rock from the sun
That structure is so old. My dad and I gutted a house built in that same era. The floor joists were 2x4's and it was like walking on a trampoline. If I were you, I'd play it safe. It's not worth the risk and the money required. I'm not sure what insurance you have but I'm doubtful they cover structural damage from aquariums.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Drain the tank asap. Wood will fail over time if it's stressed enough. It could be a day, a week, a year. Just because it's there now doesn't it will be over time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store