What's a good, small first reptile?

Johnnybravo60025

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2008
IL
So I want to try my first reptile and I wanted something that's going to be fairly easy. I had an anole we got from school in 5th grade but I don't really count that.

I was looking at a Crested Gecko but I don't know how "easy" they are to care for.

Thanks!

EDIT: I forgot to add that I also am looking for something that stay relatively small.

Mustardtiger101

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2013
Canada
So I want to try my first reptile and I wanted something that's going to be fairly easy. I had an anole we got from school in 5th grade but I don't really count that.

I was looking at a Crested Gecko but I don't know how "easy" they are to care for.

Thanks!
I know next to nothing about reptiles but from what I've been told; a bearded dragon is a great starter reptile.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jpcampbell123

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2011
In the water
cresteds are not bad temp is really important with them unlike most lizards these can do fine at room temp but need it no warmer than 80 on the warmer end of their cage
they eat a special crested gecko diet by allen rephasy also they will enjoy the occasional insect treat always dust with calicum wwhen feeding them crickets/ roaches as treats
its important to keep humidity up as they can have shedding problems and can lose toes from lack of circulation and its important for them to have drinking water i reccomend misting twice a day and if you looking for a snake i reccomend a cali king as they are one of the easiest snakes to keep in captivity

raymondk394

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2009
san bernadino
I work at a reptile store and I always recommend leopard geckos as a first reptile because they can live in a ten gallon you just need a heat pad a hide water bowl and paper towels as a substrate and that's it feed meal works crickets and occasional dubia roaches and your good

Sent from my MT2L03 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Mihajlo525

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2015
Canada
I was and still am an avid reptile keeper as well as an aquarist. I'd say HANDS DOWN a leopard gecko is the easiest. They don't smell and are easy to clean after(they only do their business in one corner) they aren't aggressive, easiest reptile to breed, come in many different colours, don't need UVB, only need a 10 gallon tank, and come in hundreds of different morphs! Crested geckos don't like to be handled, need special vitamin foods and are prone to malnutrition, need a slightly larger tank that's tall (harder to come by). I own a leopard gecko, savannah monitor, corn snake, ball python hognose snake, and a common snapping turtle. Trust me... get a leopard gecko.

Sent from my GT-S7560M using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Mihajlo525

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2015
Canada
Also I'd suggest a ball python instead of a corn snake if you're looking at snakes. Ball pythons grow slower, less aggressive and flighty (also slower) since they only curl up in a ball while corn snakes are quick and will sometimes crap on you if aggrivated enough -.-. As well as they don't need large enclosures (a 30 long is perfect) they also come in many more different morphs and are one of the easier snakes to breed.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store