Do I Need An Internal Overflow Box?

need2ball

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
I'm going to drill the back of my tank and run the water down to a wet/dry filter. I was just going to put a screen over the hole but when I was researching this project, some sites recommended using an internal overflow over the hole. What benefit is there with and internal overflow, why not just leave it open and let the water drain directly out of the drilled holes through the back of the tank?

If my post isn't clear, I'm referring to something like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87yJbAW32hQ

sabmakj21

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2014
Hawaii
I am by far not an expert in this matter but I would say there's less chance of something live on the surface of the water that you wouldn't want getting sucked down into your sump.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Overflow chambers do an excellent job of surface skimming. They hide the plumbing, and on more complex drain configurations allow you to move a ton of water out of relatively small plumbing.

If I were to buy a large tank again I'd drill it and skip the whole reef ready setup.

due to Space restictions you probably Won't be able to drill close Enough to the top of the trim to just use a Screen. I always end up using an below in the bulkhead facing up with a strainer ontop.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I drill on the sides of my tanks, and use upturned PVC elbows. For tanks with plants I use a dremel type too to carve weirs to prevent cloggin of the pipe, and keep leaves and such from entering the sump.

in tanks with small fish, and fry I will also wrap gutter guard screen around an overflow.
Without the screen fish and plants are easily carried over, if flow is strong.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Whatever you decide, I find using a strainer made for aquarium plumbing to work best for keeping things out that you don't want going down the drain pipe.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store