Fishy story.

Plecostomus06

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2015
Canterbury. NZ
I'm 13 years old and have'nt been in the fishkeeping hobby as long as most of you but I'm very passionate about it. When I was 2 or 3 my parents bought me several small fish tanks to hold goldfish. Some of which included a small bowl and a 30l with 2 goldfish in that lived about 6 or 7 years suprisingly. When we moved from the UK I had to give away my hexagon tank. When we arrived in New Zealand after only living here about 6 months I got more interested in the subject again and looked on local buy sell sites like Ebay, I came across a small 22l tank with a filter for $30nzd which works out to be around £16. I got my parents to buy it, it still had the bacteria in the filter. The next day we went to the local fish shop and bought 2 plain orange and 2 fantail goldfish and crammed them in the tank. To start with it was fine because they were small, and then they began to grow and 1 of the fantails radomly died, still not sure why. About 3 months after having this tank thrive I found again on the local buy sell site a 100l tank which came with in-built filter and light, it also came with 3 goldfish and 2 apple snails. I snapped it up for $100 and moved my 3 goldfish which were now living with a baby bristlenose into the large 100l. The tank was thriving and again the "page" as we will call it had a 500l tropical set-up for $370 it came with light, heaters, filters fish the works. I begged my parents and won them over ad got the tank it came with diamond tetra, 1 convict, 6 electric yellows, 1 glasscat, 1 zebra loach, 1 clown loach, 2 kribs, 2 bristlenoses and 1 large pleco. I quickly sold on the cichlids due to their aggresion and began to reel my Dad into the addiction. We began searching the internet and realised that the filters weren't sufficient and the heater wasnt dealing with the 500l. I convinced him to buy a canister and a second 150w heater. My dad started seeing "Aquascapes" which inspired him to do it to my tank. He went to the beach to get driftwood and soak it and spent out on plants. By this point I had purchased more fish for the tank which included neons, guppies, platys, pearl gourami and rainbow shark. He finished the tank today and is now looking at making a led light. The 22l has turned into a temporary home for my mum's baby axolotl and we sold the goldfish onto to a lady with a 450l goldfish tank. We gave the snails to a breeder. about a week ago someone was willing trade some old driftwood and tacky platic ornaments(no offence) for 15 black widdows, 1 cherry barb, 4 golden barbs, 1 mystery fish, 2 longfin zebra danios, 2 glowlights and 3 buenos aires tetra. They are in the 100l for qurantine at the moment.

I've not been in the fishkeeping game for long but it sure has a addicting feel.
Thank-you
Carli

Here's some pictures
http://imgur.com/a/zPdWh

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
You got some nice tanks there. I'm guessing you like plecos... since it's part of your username. Plecos are my favorite.

Joecool44

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2015
New Jersey
Plecos are sweet! My favorite is the medusa Pleco, good tht u got into it so young:) keep this the only addiction u have lol most kids tht are in ur age area are starting with the drugs and bad stuff, stay with the fish don't go to the dark side lol:)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Sounds (and looks) like you are starting out just fine, Carli. Well done.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store