What temp are you guys keeping your ca's

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
If you research temps of rivers in Central America, such as the Grijalva-Usumacinta, you may be surprised to find temps as low as 22'C (72'F) in Feb, and rainy season, up to as high as 30'C (86'F) in Sept.
But because I find pathogenic bacterial populations to be most virulent in higher temps (82'F and above), I try to keep temps in the low, to mid 70s'F in my tanks.
And because I keep some of the more northern species such as carpintus, or beani, and some of the southern South American species, (Gymnogeophagus) lower temps for their tanks may be best, so I keep them unheated, on north walls.
Here is a Australoheros sp "red ceibal" grow out tank thermometer.

and below, an average winter temp in my tanks (this pic was in a beani tank at time of their spawning).

Researching the rivers our fish come from also gives clues to average pH and other water parameters,
Lake Lachua where argentea, heterospilus, pearsei and lentiginosus come from varies from 8 - 8.5pH.
And although I keep many of those species, and my pH averages 7.5, consistency with water changes to keep pathogens down is more important to me, rather than trying to exactly mimic the research.
below Theraps lentiginosus

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I also prefer lower temps, because the lower the temp, the higher the ability of water to hold oxygen.
In my area, natural fish kills are most common in summer when oxygen saturation is lowest, temps are highest, and pathogenic bacterial populations are at their peak.
I have only kept 2 species that require really high temps, Nandopsis haitiensus and Acalapia alcalicus.
And it seems these 2 species have evolved an immune system that is able to fight off these higher temp bacteria, whereas many other cichlids have evolved for other type.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I've always kept all my tropicals at 76F-78F.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
76F-77F year round

pH 7.8-8.2

additives - Seachem Safe to deal with massive weekly (80%) chloramine treated water changes,
Bactri-Pond probiotic bacteria to help keep pathogenic bacteria in check.

pathogenic bacterial populations to be most virulent in higher temps (82'F and above),
Good point, one that more FH keepers should clue in on, a tropical fish that is commonly seen with Flavobacterium columnare aka duck lips. IMO, the #1 reason why this bacteria has become so common in today's fish tanks.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Thanks guys, as always great info duanes

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

cjdesmit

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2010
USA, Indiana
I keep my CA setup around 76-77F year round. My PH is typically 8.0-8.2, however slowly drops the longer I go without a water change due to the amount of wood in my tank.

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
RDRD is the Bactri Pond a much better product then The Septo-bac? Sorry for the short derail OP.

Just checked out there sight. Looks great. Gonna try it.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
It's cleaner, dissolves on contact with water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store