Best native fish to keep with Map Turtle

TankDempsey

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2012
Third rock from the sun
I've been contemplating this for some time and think I'm going to convert either my 75g Flowerhorn tank or my 55 community tank into a home for my turtle before I go off to college for maintenance reasons. Whichever tank does not get converted will be shut down and sold. Anyways, what is a good Singular fish that could be kept with my northern map turtle? I live in NE Iowa and would probably be catching it myself as I live about a mile from the Mississippi. Any responses are appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
If maintenance is a problem, a turtle is one of the poorest decisions you could make - especially if you are going away. Fish are the same story.

I say, sell (or just shut down) both tanks - and restart when you get back.

TankDempsey

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2012
Third rock from the sun
I guess I should have worded that better. My younger brother will take care of my turtle, but he refused to maintain both aquariums at the same time. So one or the other will be sold. Plus my college is only 45 minutes away so I'll be back every month or so to check up on things. I realize your points, but maintenance of one tank will be no problem, but if there is a second one it won't get any attention. Anyways I'd love to hear some suggestions.

TankDempsey

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2012
Third rock from the sun
Assuming you had a big enough tank and enough filtration, you could try a few bluegill or sunfish. I kept a sunfish and a warmouth with my painteds, res, and map turtle a long time ago.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
I have an Rena xp3 for filtration and it will probably be in a 55 gallon unless I can hold on to the 75. I've been kinda looking at something like a green sunfish if those would work. I've never kept them and I don't know much about their temperament and such.

CretaceousCreatures101

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2015
Oakland County, Michigan
I have an Rena xp3 for filtration and it will probably be in a 55 gallon unless I can hold on to the 75. I've been kinda looking at something like a green sunfish if those would work. I've never kept them and I don't know much about their temperament and such.
Yeah, back when I had bluegills the only kinda I successfully kept together were green sunfish, warmouths, and just typical bluegills. I've never tried a Redear but Pumpkinseeds usually ended up being too aggressive towards the other fish IME. One map turtle and two or three green sunfish would do fine in a 75 or even a 55 IMO, assuming your map turtle didnt get too huge. Just make sure the turtle isn't big enough to harm the fish. All the turtles Ive kept with fish have been babies to juveniles, I've never tried a full-size RES with fish before.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store