Thoughts on Fancy Goldfish

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I know that many people here keep variants of fancy goldfish, but am I the only one who thinks it might be wrong? I'm not saying that it definitely is and I think lots of them look really cool, but the ones with the huge eyes and whatever those things are that look like rashes on their heads that swim like they're half paralyzed look like they're being tortured. Some of them are so deformed to the point where you can't keep them with other fish species because they can't compete for food. Like I said, strains like Ryukins and Veiltails look awesome and don't seem to "crippled" but those ranchus and bubble eyes just look like someone threw a common goldfish in a radioactive pond for a few months. What are your guys thoughts on this matter?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I also think these deformed fish are a bit ridiculous, but because they were developed thousands of years ago to be seen in ponds, and as there really weren't any aquariums, or realization of the apparent health problems, I'm a bit tolerant.
But now in the modern world, with the actual realization of the potential health problems caused by continuation such mutations, and the crossbreeding that can amplify other unseen, and internal negative traits, in the development of short bodied FHs and blood parrots, pisses me off much more than some ancient tradition.

CaptainS

Banned
Dec 14, 2014
Bay Area
I agree with duanes it is really fricken annoying it also pisses me off that people know about the problems yet support the cause anyways or uneducated idiots who think they are cute and keep buying them and we they keep mutating them and it needs to be put to a stop.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Belly up

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2008
Wolverine, MI
I actually see this as a bigger problem than weather a particular fish is kept in (what is essentially someones opinion) too small a tank. On the up side the goldfish don`t know they are freaks, which is a good thing.

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
While you may think certain fancy goldfish look strange, that is really just personal taste, and certain varieties can really grow on you. I have always thought Bubble eyes were hideous, until I saw a nice one with smaller, uniform bubbles and then it reminded me a cute little kid with giant cheeks. And really if we are taking care of fish in captivity it really doesn't matter if they could compete for food or survive in the wild, that is our responsibility. A Dachshund couldn't survive in the wild, and that is ok, because it was never meant to be in the wild. Same for fancy goldfish. They should not be kept with fish that they aren't compatible with, and if they are that is on the keeper, not the fish.

I'll add too that a lot of people that think they seem like they are paralyzed or in pain usually haven't actually kept them. I have fancy goldfish, and while they swim differently than my cichlids, they are active and they never have trouble swimming. Usually if a Goldfish is having trouble swimming it means something is wrong with them, and it is much more common to see this in Pet Stores than in healthy fish in home aquaria.

RebelRiver

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2015
Las Vegas, Nevada
Eh, I have an English Bulldog which are bred to accentuate the "bad genes" (and in turn create a smaller gene pool) that make them look so darn cute. She doesn't know she's genetically flawed on so many levels and I'm pretty sure she thinks that the people at the dog park go specifically to see her and rub her belly.

With the fish, I personally think they're ugly, but as long as the owner of that fish treats the animal with respect and properly cares for it, I don't have a problem with it but I can understand how some people would see it as immoral to breed an animal to favor poor genes.

Belly up

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2008
Wolverine, MI
My comments regarding goldfish were intended to be tongue in cheek. If I had more space I would have some because every time I see them at a store I think "dang those are cool looking".

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Monster fancy goldfish is badass! I didn't see any wrong with fancy goldfish. They're not only domesticated animals with defects, folks.

Anders247

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2015
Maw Installation
I agree with you divemaster, the bubble eye and celestials for example, just seem weird.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store