inexpensive species with a variety of colors?

BassetsForBrown

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2012
Boston
I'm starting a 110g African tank, and I'm looking to fill it with a stock with diverse colors (yellows, reds, blues, greens particularly) while staying within a very limited budget. Obviously I'd be buying them very young to save $. Can anyone recommend some species that are generally considered to be in expensive that fit this mold? Yellow is easy to find, but many of the bright blue or red species I've seen are significantly more costly.

I don't want to go to the LFS with no idea and get hosed buy an employee with a used car sales mentality.

Thanks

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
Just go to PetsMart or PetCo and buy some of their $3-5 mixed Africans based on what you like. Can't go wrong. Just pick the healthy ones.

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
I'd go to a fish club auction. Nothing really green or red. Metriaclima estherae is red orange so that is the closest thing to red. Yellow labs (which crossbreed with estherae). For bright blue I'd go with Pseudotropheus cyaneorhabdos maingano. Acei are a nice periwinkle with yellow fins. You need 4-7 females for one male depending on the species. What are the dimensions of your 110G tank?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree with DJRansome about going to local fish club auction.
The last one I went to, I picked up a bag of 4 young Nimbochromis livingstoni for less than $10, might have even been $5.
And group bags of Lemon Yellows were going for about a buck each.
Here are the Nimbochromis, an inch about a year ago, they grew into these now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store