Link to article on filter media?

feralhuman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2015
United States
I'm sure I was reading about the different kinds of media, now I can't find it. I've searched everything I could think of. There are formulas for the various kinds of medias, and also the pros and cons.
Help!

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
I still can't wrap my head around why lava rock ranks so much lower than commercial ceramic media. Could anyone help me understand how SSA is calculated? :)

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
I still can't wrap my head around why lava rock ranks so much lower than commercial ceramic media. Could anyone help me understand how SSA is calculated? :)
Weight to mass displacement ratio will indicate porosity which, in turn, indicates total surface area (provided the porous pockets are all exposed to atmosphere and not sealed at the surfaces (vugs)). Also to be considered is material being absorbed, attraction (bonding properties), out-gassing, and a few hundred other factors. Here are some of the calculators that are used.

porosity.JPG

Basically, I just accept the competitive quality stats put out by the industry studies.

porosity.JPG

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
That helps, thanks. Now where can I find the math for how much I need for my 155 with 5 turnovers per hour?
The industry and hobby standard has been to incorporate 1 gallon of media per every 40 liquid gallons of system.

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
Weight to mass displacement ratio will indicate porosity which, in turn, indicates total surface area (provided the porous pockets are all exposed to atmosphere and not sealed at the surfaces (vugs)). Also to be considered is material being absorbed, attraction (bonding properties), out-gassing, and a few hundred other factors. Here are some of the calculators that are used.

View attachment 1071304

Basically, I just accept the competitive quality stats put out by the industry studies.
Ok, I think I get much more now. So while lava rock is porous, much of the internals are vugs, sealed off chambers within the rock? I'll stop there trying to figure out the rest, Thanks Oddball! I was starting to think there was a conspiracy against lava rock ;)
1 last question, how do you know how much media is equal to 1 gallon, is it as easy as filling a gallon bucket with media?

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I'd bet lava rock would work better if you smashed it into smaller pieces

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
1 last question, how do you know how much media is equal to 1 gallon, is it as easy as filling a gallon bucket with media?
That's all it is. The 1 gallon per 40 gal rule of thumb came about during the bio-ball boon. I still use it just to keep things simple (and my calculator in my desk drawer).

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
That helps, thanks. Now where can I find the math for how much I need for my 155 with 5 turnovers per hour?
Turnover is flow isn't it guys? So if you wanted 5 turnovers an hour in your 155, you'd multiply 155x5=775, So your combined gph from all your canisters, hob, sump, etc, needs to be greater than 775gph for a 5x turnover. Be careful advertised gph aren't always 100% correct.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store