TDS meter on drip

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
Those that have a drip with a TDS meter, at what number ppm do you switch the filters out?

I just switched mine and my water is coming out at 311ppm. With the filters it drops to 230 and slowly works its way back up.

I usually switch them out when the OUT ppm is higher than the IN ppm. Roughly 5-6 months on a slow drip (about 2 drops per second, whatever gpd that is).

Feel free to bring up any questions or concerns about the filters.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1429508945.262239.jpg

softturtle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2005
N.W. Indiana
I just purchased an in/out meter for a drip system I'm about to set up. I was curious to see if there was any change. My water is about 130-140 out of the tap. What size sediment filter are you running? I was planning on experimenting with 1 and 5 mocron. Have a feeling 5 micron will end up being the choice in the long run.

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
What meters you guys using? You leave them on the drip line 24/7 or just hook it up to test?

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
The meters look just like the ones for RO units. They're installed all the time, run off batteries, but when you turn them on they just shut off after like 20-30 seconds.

I'm very jealous of these numbers...... I'm not sure I could hit 230 unless I mixed equal parts of tap and RO.

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
does the probe have to be installed in the drip or can i just fasten it in my sump somewhere?

What brands you guys recommend?

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
http://theh2oguru.com/tds-ph-meters/dm-2-commercial-in-line-dual-tds-monitor.html

That's what I have. It just installs in the 1/4 line that feeds the filters and on the line leaving the filters. I'd think for accuracy sake you'd want to monitor the water before it hits your tank. I think this kind of monitor needs to be in moving water.

They also sell TDS pens that you just turn on and dunk in the water - I opted to monitor conductivity rather then TDS through a probe, both measure amount of "stuff" in the water but conductivity is said to be more accurate. This helps get an idea of the amount of crap in the water when you have to shuffle fish from system to system to prevent PH/TDS/conductivity shock. PLUS there's ray guys out there that have taken conductivity meters down to the rivers the rays come from so we KNOW what conductivity in the rivers is, they opted to check conductivity cause it's supposed to be more accurate then TDS.

American Marine was the brand recommended to me for a conductivity monitor and I have had zero issues with it and would definitely recommend it. IF conductivity is close I don't even bother dripping I just flop fish from tank to tank (different systems) and they seldom even miss a meal. Very helpful when delicate toothy fish don't enjoy being dripped.

softturtle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2005
N.W. Indiana
does the probe have to be installed in the drip or can i just fasten it in my sump somewhere?

What brands you guys recommend?
Mine came from the filter guys. I couldn't tell you how it works as I haven't installed it yet.

softturtle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2005
N.W. Indiana
The meters look just like the ones for RO units. They're installed all the time, run off batteries, but when you turn them on they just shut off after like 20-30 seconds.

I'm very jealous of these numbers...... I'm not sure I could hit 230 unless I mixed equal parts of tap and RO.
Do you notice a difference after your carbon or sediment filters?

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
Got mine hooked up today. Incomming tds is 90 and outgoing is 90

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Does the TDS metering magic do anything to help me with my chlorine/chloramine filter? Is chloramine a "dissolved solid"? Probably not, huh.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store