California drought

GreenTerror7

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2011
So cal/ LAX
For those of you living in California how are you doing your part in cutting back on water usage? I've been doing smaller water changes but it still ends up being about 60-70 gallons every week or two.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Though not in CA, I use old fish water to flush toilets, clean new substrate, and to water garden, and house plants. Using the same water for more than 1 purpose makes my heavy water change routine seem less wasteful.

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
I'm also using tank water for my yards. I haven't watered my lawn and plants with a garden hose in months.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
No longer in CA but, I collect rain water from my metal roof into 4 guttered 55 gal drums. The drums feed, via a coarse filtered pipe, into a buried water tank. The buried water tank level is drawn to one of 2 indoor water storage tanks, after a 5-stage filtration set up, where the water is aerated and heated to room temp. Between the 2 indoor tanks I have 1500 gallons of reclaimed rain water for my water changes.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
I also use rain water like Oddball, although my system is smaller and less sophisticated. I have 2 rainbarrels, the first (high one) catches and holds debris, then overflows to the 2nd, the 2nd is water used in water changes.
During large rain events, any overflow is directed to the pond, or garden.

I also use the rain barrels to soak logs, getting rid of tannins in wood destined for the aquarium.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
In the first pic above, you can see a PVC line running from the house, carrying tank water to the rain barrel, which gets directed to garden or pond.
I also use the green water in the barrel to feed fry, there are also gammarus shrimp living and breeding in the rain barrel used for feeding, and that overflow occasionally to the pond for extra fish food.

CaptainS

Banned
Dec 14, 2014
Bay Area
Ya Im getting sick in tired of this stupid drought water is getting more expensive and its pisin me off I cant even have a garden also because I live out in a creepy secluded area where theres plenty of wildlife to eat my garden and water changes will cost a fortune and everything is becoming a pain in the bum because of this drought and stupid global warming. Also im tired of cutting back on water Im getting tired of Californias weather it needs to end.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
I'm really hating the drought. What I hate most is nobody ever addresses the overcrowding. People need water, get rid of some people we'll have more water.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
I'm trying to keep fish that work well with my planted tank to help me reduce the amount of water change each time and less often and keep my water temp @ 75F (heater off during this time of year until winter time) for less evaporation, I water my garden with old water.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Ya Im getting sick in tired of this stupid drought water is getting more expensive and its pisin me off I cant even have a garden also because I live out in a creepy secluded area where theres plenty of wildlife to eat my garden and water changes will cost a fortune and everything is becoming a pain in the bum because of this drought and stupid global warming. Also im tired of cutting back on water Im getting tired of Californias weather it needs to end.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
You do realize that they allow people to move to other states? I got tired of the higher insurance, registrations, auto inspections, grocery, taxes, mortgage, and utility bills. So, I left. The money I had in equity, after paying off the mortgage for my Imperial Beach home, allowed me to buy two adjacent properties for cash in the gulf states.

I'm really hating the drought. What I hate most is nobody ever addresses the overcrowding. People need water, get rid of some people we'll have more water.
Who decides who leaves and what criteria is to be followed?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store