Layering glass for bottom of aquarium

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
Has anyone ever layered a few big panels together to make one bottom panel to a tank ?

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Are you asking about stacking panels for a bottom or laying them butt end together?

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
I would research laminated glass. Not something I think I would try myself.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
I have a 310 gallon tank that was made by oceanic with 2 layers of glass to make the bottom panel.
There's a huge difference between buying a tank with laminated glass versus trying to make it yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jworth

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2008
Indianapolis
against my better judgement, i made a BACK panel of a 125 by siliconing 2 1/4" sheets together. Never bent, cracked, leaked, nothing. Still not sure that it was a good idea though.

I should also say that this tank was in a garage and wouldnt have ruined my house if it were to have busted.

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
I don't mean going 2 layers thick on that sense. The panels I have are thick enough alone. But I want a larger foot print. I was thinking of laying down the 2 24" x 6 foot panels and using the 18" x 6 foot panel over top to connect the two

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
You are asking for trouble if you do that. That is a large tank for a new tank builder to begin with. Add in something like that and you are going to have wet floors.
I'm not exactly a new tank builder. Very mechanically inclined and i have built smaller aquariums. Diy king joey shows how you can repair a tank bottom this way. I figured preplanned and controlled could only mean a better outcome. The panels I have are 5/8s thick and it would be trimless right on foam

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store