Freezer burnt smelt floating, is there a cure?

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Not sure if this is the best section to post this but I buy silver sides what are head off and gutted, sometimes they already come freezer burnt so they float instead of sink. Seen the same thing happen with shrimp. Is there a cure for this? Thanks.

Sent from my Z10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I have used smelt from time to time and have had a few freezer burnt or otherwise floating fillets.Sometimes running them under warm water will cause them to sink or I would toss them into the tank and the sudden movement would trigger the fish to pounce on the fillet.I have even shoved a portion of the fillet into the gravel so the fish could then find and eat it.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Ya i hear you man, problem is I have 3 stingrays and nothing else in the tank, so I feed like 12 smelt at a time, and innevitably end up going down my corner overflows cuz rays don't find em in time (they do come up to the top to get them but not quick enough). I generally thaw stuff in lukewarm water, and I've left em in the sink for over an hour, it seems as though if they want to float they're gonna float. Any other suggestions bro? It sucks cuz it's usually the full bag, not every bag but definitely the one I just opened.

Sent from my Z10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Press down on the swim bladder until it pops, always worked for me.
The smelt in this form are beheaded and gutted and are pretty much fillets so no swim bladder to press on.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I'll have to try that...giving the smelts a little squeeze and see if they will then sink to the bottom.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store