Is my light fixture strong enough?

Sicktrick89

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2010
Massachusetts
Ive started a planted 40b tank and love learning about new plants and species, I also enjoy the chemicals and what they do for the plants. The aspect that does not interest me is the lighting. Maybe because it is so hard to understand. Right now I have a 48" single t5 bulb GLO fixture. Is this enough to support my plants? If not what would y'all suggest? Here is a picture of the setup.

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1428861094.613821.jpg

The aquarium has cleared up and has more plants now.

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1428861094.613821.jpg

Bad Wolf

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2014
New Jersey
I use that same light on my 55. I like the light but I cant say Ive noticed any significant growth. My tank is dirted as well. It may work well, as long as you don't mind the over-hang, on your tank because your tank is shallower than my 55.

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
It really comes down what plants you keep, low light plants will be fine but high won't work.

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
I'd look for a led or dual lamp fixture. If you're lamp isn't the right spectrum or is over a year old it should be replaced if you want to try your existing fixture but thats money that could go towards the new one.

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
As stated it depends on the plants you want, but i would personally aim for a 2 - 4 bulb T5-HO lighting system... this way if you want to upgrade as you go, its just a matter of adding to the tank rather than replacing...

LED is an option as well, but make sure you get a good system that also allows you to replace any burnt out LED Bulbs... some of the more high end ones i've seen even have different daylight modes it cycles through automatically to re-create the day night cycles...

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
Finnex LED's are good lights, but I always go with dual lamp T5HO fixtures because it allows me to target both chlorophyll stages peaks. Plants have 2 different chlorophyll stages that peak at different wavelengths, chlorophyll a and chlorophyll b as you can see in the image below they peak at different wavelengths.

chlorophyllspectrums.png

So this is why I always go with a T5HO fixture, whether it's a dual lamp fixture or a quad fixture it's easier to target the peaks in the plants chlorophyll. Now with that being said, let me introduce you to the best T5HO bulb in the world for live plants!!!!

ultra_growth_wave.jpg

This bulb was specifically designed for live plants and live coral in a reef tank, it targets the chlorophyll peaks in live plants which in my opinion why it's the best bulb for planted tanks. On my 30 gallon tank 36"X12"X16" I used a 36" AqiaticLife Marquis dual lamp fixture with a 6000k bulb and a ultra growth wave bulb, and within a couple of days I noticed a big change in the amount of growth that plants were getting.

chlorophyllspectrums.png

ultra_growth_wave.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store