Battery Powered Air Pump Backup's for a 300 Gallon Aquarium Recommendations plz help!

landmineyouth

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2005
North Miami
www.djrobriggs.com
I'm looking into purchasing a large battery powered air pump (or several smaller air pumps) to protect my 300 gallon datnoid tank in the cases of LONG POWER OUTAGES. I live in South Florida and in the past with smaller tanks (75 gallons, 125 gallons) a few (3 to 4) Penn-Plax worked fine in keeping my fish alive for over 14 days with no power, albeit they were very loud and annoying, they got the job done. However, i just experienced a short power outage today and when I went to turn on these back-up's, 2 out of 4 were no longer working (granted they are 10 years old, they did their job at 9.99 a piece).

I realize keeping a 300 gallon tank well aired enough for a long period of time (1 day, 4 days, 2 weeks…) will require either MULTIPLE units of these Penn-Plax air pumps which while they last a long time on a pair of D batteries (over 8 days in a row when I used them in the last hurricane outage) Im unsure of how many would be needed for a tank of this size, or if there are better options.

Please share your stories or recommendations. And a PS - I have thought of buying a rather expensive UPS Battery Backup unit to power perhaps one pump on my tank (tank is plumbed with dual over-flows running two MAG 12's) but even the very most expensive units won't keep pumps like that operating more than a day or so. I'm looking for a solution that can last at least a week if not more.

Thanks MFK!

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Howdy,

How about buying a small generator to keep your filter running? IMO that's better than just aeration.

HarleyK

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
Housing THREE Tiger Datnoids, 12-14" each for 2 and a third at 8", One Full Grown 12" Oscar, 6 full grown silver dollars.
Generator or solar backup with a few batteries. Honestly one can never tell how long the power will go out for. A generator or solar panels gives you fairly consistent use if needed. Way way way more insurance

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Longshot

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
Central Texas
I just got back from a fishing trip and we got to test a 12v aerator that kept shrimp alive for 3 days with very little drain on the deep cycle battery. You could have 2 or 3 air pumps or an air pump and a circulation pump with very little maintenance and lasts for days. Use a battery maintainer to keep the battery in good shape during the rest of the year. Just do the math on amp draw and battery capacity to get reasonable results. I estimate you could get everything set up for less than $200, which is probably nothing compared to the time, money and effort invested in the fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store