Schooling fish for a 90g Oscar tank?

BassetsForBrown

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2012
Boston
Besides giant dianos, what other schooling fish could I add to a 90g tank with 1 Oscar? I'd ideally like about 6, so that rules out tin foil barbs and silver dollars due to their size. Suggestions?

Poseidon2.0

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2015
Brooklyn, NY, USA.
My understanding was that silver dollars, like tin foil barbs, reach an adult size of almost 10".

Curious, but where did you read/hear this? Most Silvers I am familiar with are in the max 6 inch range. Some varieties certainly do get bigger than that, but most of the ones sold at lfs do not. If your 90 gallon is only 4 foot long your oscar may well not like his roommates; six foot would be better, but maybe you will luck out and get an oscar pacifist.

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
Curious, but where did you read/hear this? Most Silvers I am familiar with are in the max 6 inch range. Some varieties certainly do get bigger than that, but most of the ones sold at lfs do not. If your 90 gallon is only 4 foot long your oscar may well not like his roommates; six foot would be better, but maybe you will luck out and get an oscar pacifist.
I bought a oddball silver dollar a few years ago. Had a lot of speckle and orange on him. He was 8" and the guy I bought him from said he was 3 years old. I'll see if he's on 1 of my YouTube videos

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Poseidon2.0

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2015
Brooklyn, NY, USA.
Sounds like a cool looking fish. I know that the red hooks can get to ten inches, but thought most others were smaller. Certainly wouldn't want to put a school of fish that large in a 90 gallon with an oscar.

ShadowP

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2015
Southeastern North Carolina
The Oscar is a schooling fish, best kept in groups of six or more. Maybe a bigger tank would be more appropriate for your oscar(s).

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
Allot of people use Buenos Aries and Columbian tetras with predatory fish. I have Colombians and I love them. They remind me of little piranhas.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store