225 Gallon Setup

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
Well I have the green light on the bigger tank so I wanted to start a thread about it. I dont have the tank yet, its still at my bosses house. But Its a 225 (6x2x30") with a 75g sump. It has everything with it to be set up so i dont have to worry about taking a while to get it running. Ill probably be throwing a bunch of questions out but bear with me.

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
The first thing i want to discuss is location. Theres no way to get this tank to the basement which is the best option. Next option was the garage but then i have to worry about the heat in the summer and cold in the winter (garage is sort of unfinished). So we decided to put it in the office. Its at the corner of the house, right above the concrete foundation. So with basically 300 gallons this setup could weigh around 3000 lbs. That stresses me out worrying about the support and what not. So what is the best way to support the floor underneath? Ive never had to do any of this before so im a little confused on which route to take. The flooring is 2x12 spaced 19 1/2 on center. Where i plan on putting the tank starts me out with the left side of the tank right on a floor joist. The tank will be spread across 5 joists, which i feel isnt really enough. Even if i dont "have" to support it would help me sleep better if i did. Hoping someone can point me in the right direction here. First picture is where i plan on putting the tank (little cluttered right now) and the other pics show the flooring underneath where the tank will go.

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1429580544021.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1429580571657.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1429580581984.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1429580612032.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1429580623573.jpg

jworth

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2008
Indianapolis
should be really pretty strong at that point. You could sister up the joists in order to spread the load as well.

Devzev

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2014
nyc/nj
Check out homedepot. Tiger post. $45 They are adjustable jack post. You can put one or two under each joist
Or can run a support beam under the joists and the posts under the ends of the beam ( and possibly one in the middle)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
Check out homedepot. Tiger post. $45 They are adjustable jack post. You can put one or two under each joist
Or can run a support beam under the joists and the posts under the ends of the beam ( and possibly one in the middle)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Ive seen the support beam with jack posts done quite often. I may go that route with it.

Aquafreak

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fleetwood, PA
I have jack posts under each beam of my 240 with no issues at all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
I have jack posts under each beam of my 240 with no issues at all.

Single posts? Where did you place them, front of the tank, middle?

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
Your saying you have 5 2x12s supporting the area you want to put the tank? I'm going to go ahead and say your fine.

If I remember right a single 2x6 can support around 1600 lbs ?

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Aquafreak

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fleetwood, PA
Single posts? Where did you place them, front of the tank, middle?

I placed them toward the front of the tank because the foundation wall supports the back of the tank. That only leaves a roughly 30" span of joist supporting the weight which won't deflect. This is all in a 100 year old house with old school beams and not newer, better construction. I was able to level the floor with the jack poles as well and almost eliminate shimming.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store