Glass tank on tile floor

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Due to the layout of my house/existing setup I will be putting my 75 gal tank on the floor to loop into the main system. It is on the main level under a basement, and will have to sit on tile floor. I can build a wood frame for it to sit on, but i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions in terms of weight distribution etc. Tank is custom made from spare glass so there will not be any trim and possibly no bracing (tank is 48x30x12, 12 height, 3/8th glass). Foam or no foam? 2x4 rectangle or full plywood board with 2x4 support under? Will it just be fine on the tile?

Sent from my Z10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
Yes on foam if it has no trim.
Yes on plywood top. I wouldn't worry about a tile cracking unless they are very uneven

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Aquafreak

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fleetwood, PA
Yes on foam if it has no trim.
Yes on plywood top. I wouldn't worry about a tile cracking unless they are very uneven

+1. Foam will help even out an irregularities the tile floor may cause within reason. If the tile was layed correctly it won't crack.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Any sense supporting the edges with 2x4s or is that just overkill? Just place plywood on floor, foam on plywood, shim, and fill? Plywood necessary? Any specific type of foam? Thanks guys.

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
Any sense supporting the edges with 2x4s or is that just overkill? Just place plywood on floor, foam on plywood, shim, and fill? Plywood necessary? Any specific type of foam? Thanks guys.

Wait I'm confused. Are you putting it on the floor or on a stand. If it's on the floor I would just toss a layer of foam down and done deal. If on a stand in would use a plywood top and then foam.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Right on floor. Okay that's cool, was hoping that would work, cheers.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store