Help I'm having issues with Green water!!!!!

Mrs. Nicky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Norfolk, Va
I set my 75 gallon freshwater tank up towards the end of February. I currently have a 3 inch musk turtle a 2 inch green terror, a 8 inch rope fish and a 4 inch columbian Pleco in it. I cycled the tank with fish, filter media from my other tank and prime. Just about the same time in the cycle process when my ammonia level was finally at zero is when I began to have issues with green water. I have several pothos and several of another type of plants sticking out the back of the aquarium. I am running two marineland bio wheels 400. I have a blue LED bubble strip that is on all the time. For the lights I have a coralife T5 with Only one 54 watt bulb in use. The lights are on for about 6-10 hours a day. I feed my turtle about 4-6 large sinking pellets a day and she leaves nothing behind but some crumbs. I feed the other fish 2-3 times a day and the usually eat flakes, floating mini pellets or the occasional dried bloodworms. I use to change about 50% of water every 2 weeks but since the green water started I have been changing about 50% every week. I have tried a black with no lights, not even the blue LED for three days. I've tried tetra algae meds which killed all 6 of my giant danios due to me being desperate and over dosing the tank. The tetra algae meds for the most part cleared the green water but it returned within a week. I have not a clue what could be causing this green water issue. I have never had this problem before. I do not know what to do next. I am desperate and I really need some advice. What can I do to get rid of this green water for good. Please help any advice will be appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jmolter86

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2015
bristol, pa
There is a number of things that can be causing your tank to have green algae. The most common that I've come across is high levels of phosphate. Seachem makes a product called phosguard. Get a media bag(s) and put some phosguard in them,put them into your emperors behind your filter pad. Make sure you don't have and drawstrings front the media loose or floating aroubd. They can get caught on your bio wheel and stop it from turning. Change out the phosguard every 3 to 5 days. Another option is acurel makes a phosphate removing pad. It is geared more for canister filters but you can use it in hob. Use your filter cartridge as a template and cut a piece to fit into your hob. Try and make a tight fit to avoid water bypassing the the pad. Change every few days. Keep up with water changes also. One last option is a uv sterilizer. You need something that has a flow rate of about 10gal per watt per hour ie 13 watt with 130 gal/hour. Anything more isn't effective. Coralife turbo twist is a pretty good one. You can also get the cheap ones off like ebay and amazon. Most have real high flow rates though. You can take felt and cover the intake to try and slow is and as the sponge filter gets dirty that will slow it also. Acurel f is a water clarifier it will clear your water but won't solve the problem. It's all natural. You can use it in conjunction with the suggestions above if you want immediate results. It's just a band aid though. The causing problem will still need to be addressed. Good luck

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

azmtns

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2009
Prescott, AZ
Find a local killifish or livebearer club and get some daphnia from somebody there. In no time your green water will be gone, and your fish will eat the daphnia.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Mrs Nicky, You'd be better off treating the cause, not the symptoms. What are your nitrate and phosphate levels? Tank water and tap water.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
How much natural lighting do you get in the room? Unless the room is pitch black, you don't really need to have the T5 on for 6-10hrs a day. Also, I've read that blue LED is the most productive color for plant forms...this includes algae in the form of green water

Mrs. Nicky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Norfolk, Va
I would say moderate natural light. Not enough to for my potted house plants to be happy without artificial light. I shut the blue led lights off yesterday and today the tank water is noticeably less green. Maybe it is coming from the blue LEDs. If so that is very strange because I also have the blue LEDs on my 60 gallon and I never had this problem. Although there are twice as many LEDs on the 75 gallon as it is on the 60 gallon.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store