The beautiful and forgotten Channa maculata

mshuangchao

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2007
China - 珠海
Channa maculata, aka the blotched snakehead is native to South China and Northern Vietnam. It can be most directly distinguished from C. argus by its smaller and less rounded markings. It is sometimes confused with hybrid C. maculata X C. argus specimens which have intermediate markings. These hybrids have flooded the markets in recent years, due to their fast growth rate and better acceptance to commercial feed. They are causing genetic pollution in our waterways while the true maculata is mostly restricted to isolated reservoirs now. Some ignorant religious groups which advocate the releasing of farmed fishes brought from the markets into the wild are exacerbating this problem. To my knowledge, only hybrids are in the trade, alongside platinum argus, which are both farmed in great numbers. I collected this specimen locally by lure fishing and have a few in my pond, hoping they will breed so I can release some true maculata back to suitable wild waters. I hope the Channa community will come to appreciate this forgotten species and think about its conservation as a species.

Photo courtesy of Zhou Hang, who came by my place to shoot this fish.

斑鳢 周行.jpg

chronick

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2009
Canada
Maculata are beautiful fish and their patters are much nicer than argus. The first channa i ever kept was a maculata from a fish market lol.

It's sad to hear that people are releasing genetic hybrids and selectively bred fish to the wild. That can have serious repercussions to not just the true maculata species but also many other different species of animal that will become prey for the more voracious argus x maculata hybrids.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store