Red spotted Channa asiatica in the wild

mshuangchao

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2007
China - 珠海
Red spotted Channa asiatica can be found here in Guangdong province, there seem to be some local variants as this species has quite a large distribution. I noticed them when I was surveying for freshwater crabs at night and collected two for keeping in captivity. Will probably go again for better photographs.

20150412_003933.jpg

IMG_0040.JPG

IMG_0042.JPG

IMG_0043.JPG

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
Wow I'm envious !

What would it take for you to collect me some and ship to Canada ??

mshuangchao

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2007
China - 珠海
Happy to know you like them! I think they are sometimes in the trade, I have an exporter friend who occasionally has some stock... but sorry, I'm not a fish exporter... cheers!

chronick

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2009
Canada
This is awesome. For a very long time redspot asiaticas were very rare in the hobby, and I'd say that they are still quite rare. Certainly a treat to see wild photos from china, let alone of asiaticas in the wild.

If you get the chance, do take some more photos during your collection trips. Cheers!

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Nice colors and patterns. They're camouflaged perfectly for their environment.

Zackeee

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2013
Shanghai
Red spotted Channa asiatica can be found here in Guangdong province, there seem to be some local variants as this species has quite a large distribution. I noticed them when I was surveying for freshwater crabs at night and collected two for keeping in captivity. Will probably go again for better photographs.
Beatiful fish, Channa aisatica is widely spread in Southern China.

vinson vr

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2010
malaysia
Thanks for sharing, Very very nice Channa indeed ! Its rare to see this Channa coloring in my country Malaysia!.

By the way, how did u manage to GRAB them? by using your bare hands? or fish net?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store