Breeding crawdads

Anthony Nolet

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2012
Oregon
Has anyone ever bred native crawdads in a tank? I've had one in a tank with a small pumpkinseed for almost a year now and recently I got another one and put it in there for food (although I was hoping it would survive) and I just saw the two of them interacting. I have no clue of their genders or if they were just squaring up. It would be cool to breed crawdads in a tank for food and crawdads are also cool to watch eat a night crawler

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I've heard of accounts of captive breeding before, not sure of the details though. Sadly it's now illegal to own them in PA so I'll never know.

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
Doesn't matter the gender, as they are capable of changing sex after each moult. Just watch for aggression but they should breed. Separate your berried female to a separate tank before she drops.....

Moontanman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2008
Cape Fear, NC
blogs.scienceforums.net
I've breed quite a few dwarf crayfish in my time, hundreds of them at least. It's not difficult but the sunfish will eventually eat the crayfish, in a closed container the crayfish is vulnerable, sunfish love to pick apart crayfish.

If you have a male and a female they will breed naturally, dwarf crayfish breed every 28 days, now sure which species you have...

Anthony Nolet

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2012
Oregon
I'm pretty sure they're rusty crawdads. If they started breeding I'd put them in they're own tank. But for now they are just hanging out in the tank and the little pumpkinseed doesn't bug them. They have a few hiding caves.

Mihajlo525

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2015
Canada
Watch my really old info vid on breeding crayfish, such as behaviour, breeding, and sexing crawdads.
[video=youtube;x7JPBG6nx3c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7JPBG6nx3c[/video]

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store