Xanthic Managuense?

Brobstfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2012
USA
Not sure about this guy, he was the most dominant jag out of my lfs's latest batch from the pair they have there. He doesn't look orange, almost like a metallic yellow? I just got him because I thought he was unique.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1429653898.269387.jpg

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
FINALLY - I used to see those available in the 80's and 90's, and since then, they have disappeared - and nobody on here has been able to come up with any - until now. They were called "Gold jags" which they are, as you can see.
Did they have more like this?

Brobstfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2012
USA
FINALLY - I used to see those available in the 80's and 90's, and since then, they have disappeared - and nobody on here has been able to come up with any - until now. They were called "Gold jags" which they are, as you can see.
Did they have more like this?
No this was the only one, all the rest were normal coloration. Going to try to pair him/her with a normal colored managuense in the coming months, then pair two of the fry to produce more of this coloration.

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1429654280.522561.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1429655090.078305.jpg

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
I've got six of them guys growing out there between 2-4" ATM hoping to get at least a nice pair out of them ;):Duploadfromtaptalk1429655749897.jpguploadfromtaptalk1429655769388.jpguploadfromtaptalk1429655782394.jpguploadfromtaptalk1429655799247.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
When I had a spawning pair of managuense, there would usually be 3 or 4 individuals out of each spawn that would basically be this color.
I would cull them and used them as feeders, I found the pale color made them look like some kind of generic unrecognizable species, but to each their own.
If you use this one, and pair it up with a normal one, there should be a few, or maybe a larger number of pale ones from that spawn, and if you breed those pale ones together, an even larger number from subsequent generations, and so on, and so on. Could take a couple years, and you'll have a pale line. Just make sure you cull any deformed mutations.

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
Cool thanks for the info duanes :thumbup::) I've got plenty of hungry fish if I need to use any deformed ones as feeders , there's a few with dark patches on them but two dominant ones in the pack nearly all gold , a pure gold breeding pair would be nice to have for me , I've still got my breeding pair of normal jags too so you never know they could end up producing a few in one of there batches if you've found a few I'm the past

Sent from my Nexus 7 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Some of these do grow into some really nice looking fish, don't be so quick to get rid of them. They are naturally occurring morphs which may not survive in the wild but in your thank than will do just fine.

Brobstfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2012
USA
When I had a spawning pair of managuense, there would usually be 3 or 4 individuals out of each spawn that would basically be this color.
I would cull them and used them as feeders, I found the pale color made them look like some kind of generic unrecognizable species, but to each their own.
If you use this one, and pair it up with a normal one, there should be a few, or maybe a larger number of pale ones from that spawn, and if you breed those pale ones together, an even larger number from subsequent generations, and so on, and so on. Could take a couple years, and you'll have a pale line. Just make sure you cull any deformed mutations.
Thanks for the info! I just thought it was unique so I took it home.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store