Please tell me what this is.

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
Please tell me what this is and can I fix it. My nic hybrid had this once before and it healed itself. Looks like the intestines are coming out the anus. I have only ever seen it happen on this fish and it happened once before. Water quality is clear I do 50-70% WC every week. The fish is acting completely normal buzzing around the tank. She is afraid of my camera so it is hard to get a pic this is the best I could get.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
prolapsed anus?

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
Thank you all. I put some general cure in last night. I will do a WC tonight and ad some Epsome salts. Is the dosage for this Tblspn per 5 gallons. Also do I need to reduce the amount of salt I add since I have an L200 and tetras in there?

ShadowP

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2015
Southeastern North Carolina
From just the photo, it is not easy to tell. If feces are passed through it, then it is more than likely the result of an abdominal bacterial infection combined with constipation which resulted in weakened intestinal support structure and a tearing of the connective tissues thereby allowing some distension or protrusion as shown. The second possibility relies on no feces being passed through this protrusion for it not being part of the normal intestine but moreso a simple polyp which may progressively worsen or even become cancerous. My inclination is toward the latter.

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
From just the photo, it is not easy to tell. If feces are passed through it, then it is more than likely the result of an abdominal bacterial infection combined with constipation which resulted in weakened intestinal support structure and a tearing of the connective tissues thereby allowing some distension or protrusion as shown. The second possibility relies on no feces being passed through this protrusion for it not being part of the normal intestine but moreso a simple polyp which may progressively worsen or even become cancerous. My inclination is toward the latter.
I haven't noticed poop being passed but it does look like it is getting smaller. But I only got a quick glimps this morning.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store