Electric catfish housing issue.

Pike_man66

Feeder Fish
Apr 22, 2015
Montgomery, Al
I currently have a 10 to 13 in. electric catfish swimming around in a 56 cube that is 30 by 18 by 24 inches. He is still growing and I have no idea where or how to house this fish once he outgrows this tank. I bought a 300 gallon,but the weight proved to be to much for my house and caused damage that had to be repaired. Anyone have any ideas on how I can keep this fish? Also this is the first time I have posted a thread, so I hope this is the right section.

amazonfishman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2005
On the Rio Araguaia, I wish...
Get a bigger tank like a 180 gallon and that should hold it for a long while. I've yet to see anyone with an E-Cat over 16" in captivity in private aquaria. If you have a garage you could get a stock tank and heat it with a cover and it should be able to live there comfortably as well. 300g stock tanks are cheap.

I'm assuming either your house is pier and beam or you tried to put that tank on a 2nd story because it shouldn't have damaged anything from weight on a house build on a slab if it was downstairs.

Pike_man66

Feeder Fish
Apr 22, 2015
Montgomery, Al
I was told to expect my E-cat to reach at max 2 feet in an aquarium, but I will not be surprised if it does not reach that size. It seems many species will not reach their max size in home aquariums. I do want to be prepared thought if he does approach their max size. The 300 gallon I am referring to is a stock tank and it was placed on my enclosed back porch, which is part of my one floor slab house. The problem is that I live on an area that was once a bog. The slab where I placed the tank cracked and sunk by 2 inches and warped a metal door frame. The 180 is most likely my best bet for now, but I would like to be able to use the stock tank in the future. I also wonder if the slab in my living room will support a tank that size considering what happened to the porch.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
E-cats appear to not reach their age, neither size, in captivity. This may be useful to read: http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?583184-Ellectric-cat&highlight=electric+cat

Sorry to hear of the damage. I am much surprised that your slab gave way. I'd probably have it inspected. It may have holes / sink holes under it. Until this problem solved (or if it is determined that this is indeed normal in your area or for your house), I don't think we can advise much on what can be done as this appears to be a structural issue with your house and not really fish or fish-enclosure-construction related.

I doubt you will choose to break up and excavate part of your slab to make a properly supported and properly thick slab for a stock tank.

Pike_man66

Feeder Fish
Apr 22, 2015
Montgomery, Al
I do not want to put the stock tank inside. I was talking about placing the 180 gallon tank in the house( I should have made that clearer in my last post). There is already a 65 gallon and a 125 gallon tank sitting in my animal room that has had no issues for years. When the porch was repaired I was told it was not built to code and that slab was not given proper support when it as added on. House problems aside though would a 120 gallon 48 by 24 y 24 inches be enough to house him? Otherwise I think I will just have the rest of the house inspected as suggested to prevent any more surprises.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
E-cats are pretty sedentary and usually do not swim much, even at night IIRC. Does yours swim at night? So, a 4'x2'x2' should be quite adequate for a 10"-13"-er.

If the porch has been properly repaired, as it sounds, then I see no problem trying it again with a 300 gal stock pond or 180 gal tank, or even installing them inside the house. Checking the house slab costs $ but is prudent.

Pike_man66

Feeder Fish
Apr 22, 2015
Montgomery, Al
My E-cat named Zax swims around all the time day and night looking for food. He is very active for an e-cat. Also the person who repaired the porch warned me not to put another 300 gallon on the porch after reinforcing the slab and. replacing the tile.

I am trying to create a good permanent home for Zax. While the 180 would be better, I will set up a 120 for him to live in. The 300 gallon I will just use as an outdoor pond.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store