Time for an upgrade 180 gal ideas.

catfish_master

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2015
Northern Minnesota
I am upgrading my 75 gallon bottom feeder tank to a 180 gallon tank. The only fish I have in my 75 gallon are a 7" featherfin and a 18" pleco who is the main reason I'm upgrading. In my 180 I'm looking for ideas for some larger active fish that won't bother my catfish or any other catfish/bottom feeder species that won't bother them either. I don't want to get anything that will get too big or is super expensive/super hard to care for. One of my ideas was doing a cichlid tank or having oscars, would they be compatible with my featherfin and pleco? I am open to any ideas and really want to get some awesome fish.

jmolter86

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2015
bristol, pa
Chisel tooth cichlid, chocolate cichlid, the Oscars would work, pearsei, snooks,
Uaru, sevs. You could do a couple uaru a. And some angel fish and sevs. They would fill out nicely.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Do a complete catfish tank. Get a nice sized Striped Raph, an Ameiurus, and big Pimelodus ornatus.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Chisel tooth cichlid, chocolate cichlid, the Oscars would work, pearsei, snooks,
Uaru, sevs. You could do a couple uaru a. And some angel fish and sevs. They would fill out nicely.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Pretty much what i would have said, check out the viejas very colorful.

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

catfish_master

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2015
Northern Minnesota
Thanks for the input I think I'm going to get an ameiurus, and an ornate pim, I've seen both at my local store. I'm going to get the ameiurus and see how my other fish react to decide if I should get an ornate pim or not. For my active fish I was wondering if frontasa cichlids would get along with oscars and everybody else.

Mihajlo525

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2015
Canada
Trust me, keeping oscars with catfish will be the most regretful thing you'll do XD. My 13" oscar has bothered EVERY catfish I've ever owned and constantly bugs my 12" pleco.

Poseidon2.0

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2015
Brooklyn, NY, USA.
Trust me, keeping oscars with catfish will be the most regretful thing you'll do XD. My 13" oscar has bothered EVERY catfish I've ever owned and constantly bugs my 12" pleco.
I have an oscar that has lived with a large pleco for most of its life and haven't had any problems. I know other people that also keep them together successfully.

I don't think Frontosas would be a good idea they have different water quality needs than the pleco and like their water to be hard. Plus they are very slow growers. My first thought was a chocolate cichlid as others have already mentioned.

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
I have kept Oscar with both pleco and catfish with zero problems. All down to the Oscar itself.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

catfish_master

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2015
Northern Minnesota
My local fish store has a 265 in the back with 5 big pleco some big oscars a huge featherfin and some knifefish so I think if I got an Oscar from them it wouldn't bother the pleco, I like the chocolate and chisel tooth cichlid, and am reading up on then now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store