Dropped my air pump into the filter chamber

batang_mcdo

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
Manila
aaaarrrrgggghhhhh accidentally dropped my airpump into the filter chamber,
i quickly grabbed it, without unplugging it first , good thing i was not electrocuted .
what should i do before i can use this pump again?
Do i have to open it up to dry it? or just leave it to dry without opening it up?
just bough tthis pump 2 weeks ago :(

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Open the air pump out and let it dry out. Using a hair dryer will speed it up but I like to wait 24 hours before reusing the item.

SomeStonedFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2015
SW PA
if you grabbed it right back out there's a better chance it's not damaged. I'll second taking it apart and using a hair dryer. with the pump on when it was in the water, there's also a pretty good chance that little to no water got into the pump, and just found its way through the cracks in the plastic. should still work.

batang_mcdo

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
Manila
thanks guys :) really appreciate the help.
I popped it into a zip bag and added silica gel to draw out the moisture.
I'm hoping i can use it again later.

ShadowP

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2015
Southeastern North Carolina
Electronic tech here... firstly NEVER AND I MEAN NEVER!!! reach into the water after anything electric and live (plugged in) that falls into the water. You got lucky on two counts.
1) the water (I presume fresh) had low salt and mineral content and would not conduct current as easily as salt water...
2) the seals on your new pump are probably still in very good condition.

This is one of the few times I highly recommend lifting an electronic device by the power cord (the dry end)! This gets it out fairly quickly and the water density helps provide some stress relief for the cord.

Your pump did however, draw water into the air intake to the diaphrams but this is not a problem as it will also "spit" this water into your airline and slowly evaporate with the normal air output.

The pump is more than likely a single or double diaphram model and operates on the AC line voltage and frequency being used to create an electromagnet which while reversing polarity at the 50 or 60 cycles per second, excites a permanent magnet field of the magnet attached to the diaphram arm.

Simply unplug the unit, remove the case screws and open the unit. Paper towels are all that is needed to dry the electromagnet and its associated wiring. Get all the wiring nooks and crannies. Remove your intake filter (usually some sort of foam disk or pad) and press it firmly between a few thickness of paper towel to remove excess moisture, then reinstall. Done

Joecool44

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2015
New Jersey
Lol this happened to me in my ten gallon spotted puffer tank, didn't unplugg it and I put my hand in and next thing I know I was in the electric chair lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store