Dolphin Mormyrid Info Please

Monstrous

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2013
Singapore
I have kept mormyrid tapirus in the past. Ime, they are highly sensitive to metal content in the water (i.e : copper and iron). Due to that, i wouldnt recommend the use of medication in their aquarium. Also, these guys use electro sensors to detect food, putting other electric fish with them wouldn't be a good idea as it will disrupt their own sensors. Feed them plenty of bloodworms, once they got the hang of it frozen ones can be given. They are nocturnal creatures but easily adapt to your feeding schedule. Lastly, make sure your substrate do not have any sharp objects as they enjoy hunting for worms in the sand. Reef sand work well for mine... Enjoy your mormyrid-you will love it
Sent from my GT-I9505 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

LOCO_LOCO

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2008
SAN DIEGO
I bouth 2 of them. And these guys never eat anything. And thy die. I wouldnt recomment to anyone. Thy were pricey too.

Sent from my Z970 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Monstrous

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2013
Singapore
They dont do too well in pairs, its either single specimen or a group (if you have a huge enough aquarium)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

I had one in a 265 african setup....awesome fish! Like monstrous said x10! Mine would dig through the sand and look for the black worms that I would drop into the tank all day long. They have very small mouths and mine at 6-7" could barely eat tiny earth worm babies. They are also very active so still need to eat alot so you need to feed a ton of black or blood worms DAILY to keep them from starving.

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
I absolutely loved the kanume I had! They are extremely hard to pellet train but it can be done. I just don't know how. Mine grew from 10" to 14" in 6 months before I sold it and fed it exclusively live blackworms and earthworms. They do not do well with other mormyrids at all but I have seen videos of them housed in tanks with a large amount of different species. If kept with other fish though make sure they are fast enough to not get bullied bc these guys are extremely aggressive and territorial. Mine killed a black volta endli by bullying it to death. My recommendation is to keep it in a species only tank filled with ping pong balls and rings to watch it play. They are also extremely sensitive to salt and meds. They like the water warm, mine was kept at 84-86F and it loved playing in the bubbles from the airstones. Hope this helps. I noticed this post was kinda old so I hope he's doing well for you still.

Rara12

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2009
New Jersey
I have had pretty good success with these in the past having worked at a aquarium store that was well know for getting odd ball and high end fish for years. They do not like bright light and acclimating them into a dark tank absolutely helps. As other have said, start them on live black worms. I have always had good luck starting with the black worms then slowly mixing in blood worms until they no longer need the live food. I would also suggest giving them some good hiding places as they seem to like having a home base they can retreat too.

These are highly intelligent fish and must be treated with care. In my many years keeping fish, this is the first species that i actually felt guilty for keeping. They have notable attitudes and need the space to roam. Keep them with docile fish until they are confident members of the tank or getting them to eat will be much harder. And be sure to have a lid on the tank, they can jump.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store