feeding eisenia fetida (worms)

Rickargentea

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Mexico City
Hello all, has anyone fed their pirahnas with worms [eisenia fetida) to what i have red, they are great food for fish. Has anyone tried ?

kevbc03

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2008
Cleveland
I used to feed earthworms to my piranhas back when I had my red belly shoal. I guess the one thing you would have to watch out for is fertilizer/pesticides if you are finding them in the wild.

kevbc03

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2008
Cleveland
They loved the worms. However, worms can be a hassle depending on the substrate; I had gravel, and if you lost track of a worm during the feeding, it could borough down into the gravel where would die and rot. I tend to believe worms are very nutritious. I'm sure fish eat them constantly in the wild.
If worms are readily available for you, then I say absolutely feed them to your piranhas, just make sure to keep and eye out in case they try and bury themselves into the substrate.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Updates on your worm farm? Any adjustments made to your initial setup?
Thanks for finding the link.

Unchanged setup, I still have the original substrate in it. Had to restock twice. This is where I throw all the clippings from my planted tanks, plus some old bread.

Pic from today, when my son and I hauled it out of the basement for the summer.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1430089649.557455.jpg

Rickargentea

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Mexico City
Yeah, i had a small red worm farm like the one you mentioned, i used to feed my flowerhorns worms and they loved it. But i was not to sure with piranhas.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store