Ideal breeding setup for Managuense?

CretaceousCreatures101

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2015
Oakland County, Michigan
I'm asking this question for a friend who's considering breeding Managuense. What's the best setup for breeding? And what's the best way to get a m&f pair, regardless of whether or not they breed? It's more that he wants a pair of Jaguars but would like to try coaxing them into spawning, if at all possible.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
A big tank with a hiding place for the female.
Except a billion fry. Jags have the biggest clutches of eggs

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
+1 there's a few ways of pairing up jags
Either buy a few juvis and see if a pair develops out of the bunch.
Put a male and female in hoping they will pair up without one killing the other that's always a gamble with breeding jags though :banghead: but if you can get them living in harmony together its all good for a breeding pair.
Get a divider and release the male on the day she's dropping eggs so he can fertilise them , again this is a gamble and will have to be watched closely for aggression , once he's done the job put the divider back in so neither one gets hurt.
Like ehh said a big tank with a male proof hide for the female (I use a pipe he can't fit inside but she can ) my female holds her own fine with my male so she never uses it but its there if she wants it , I also like to put a pipe in they can both fit inside so they stay together as a couple (mine always spawn in this spot too ) uploadfromtaptalk1429973101127.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

CretaceousCreatures101

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2015
Oakland County, Michigan
+1 there's a few ways of pairing up jags
Either buy a few juvis and see if a pair develops out of the bunch.
Put a male and female in hoping they will pair up without one killing the other that's always a gamble with breeding jags though :banghead: but if you can get them living in harmony together its all good for a breeding pair.
Get a divider and release the male on the day she's dropping eggs so he can fertilise them , again this is a gamble and will have to be watched closely for aggression , once he's done the job put the divider back in so neither one gets hurt.
Like ehh said a big tank with a male proof hide for the female (I use a pipe he can't fit inside but she can ) my female holds her own fine with my male so she never uses it but its there if she wants it , I also like to put a pipe in they can both fit inside so they stay together as a couple (mine always spawn in this spot too ) View attachment 1072374

Sent from my Nexus 7 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Ok. At what size/age would they begin to pair up, if one were to purchase a group of youngsters? And is there a fool-proof way to sex them?

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Aquafreak

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fleetwood, PA
4" seems to be the magic size in my experience. Venting is the best way to sex Jags.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
Without venting it can still be difficult at 6"+ some females have very male like patterns.
But generally females will lose there black speckles on there underside and become much more golden (if you look at my pair you can see it clearly female on left much more gold underside ) at 4-6" you'll notice this change , they also have a more rounded dorsal fin

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
Imho i would say a 180 with about 6 with driftwood then let them pair naturally.You might have the use dividers and compartmemtalize the tank. A lot of times as the grow they will seek and destroy so if your not careful you could end up with a big tank with 1 small jag. Once they get bigger i would use a divider as you can lose a female in a hurry. You might need a huge tank in the long run as I've seen a male as long as my forearm and I'm 6'4.

Djglenn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2015
Edmonton alberta
I bought a male red tiger at 7" and a female red tiger at 5" poured 1/4" gravel 3" thick in the bottom of a 70 gallon. I then added medium sized pieces of drift wood one with Java fern attached one with out. I placed my filter dead centre of the tank and only had light at one end of the tank. I lowered temp to 24c and and fed every two days live only after two weeks I raised the water temperature to 30c over a 2 day period. I stopped feeding live switched to smelt pieces of shrimp, blood worms and one week later they had spawned. I am in the process's of raising a ton of fry. Which are feeding on brine shrimp, crushed fish flake food, blood worms. They are doing extremely and will be up for sale when the reach 1" in length. I have uploaded photos of the stages of growth up until now eggs were laid may 10th.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store