How do I make my fire eel happy?

DyingBreed1995

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2015
Flemington, NJ
I have a 6 inch fire eel, and lately he hasn't been eating. Someone suggested I get him some pvc pipe to hide in, but he's completely ignored the pipe I bought. I have gravel as the substrate, but the stones are smooth and round, so he's not getting injured by the rocks. I've been feeding him freeze dried blood worms, which he seemed to like at first, but he hasn't been eating at all since I last cleaned the tank. None of the other fish are affected, and the water perams are perfect. The tank is 36 gallons, which is fine for now since he is so small. If I need to be more specific or provide more details, ask me below. I really would like some more advice since I really like this fire eel. I've attached pics of him in case anyone wants to see whether or not he looks healthy

image.jpg

image.jpg

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Sorry to call you out OP but we told you how to rectify the problem, now it will just take time...

Here was his opening post in another thread about the same eel...

I have a fire eel (he's about 6 inches long) and I got him about a week ago. Everything was fine. He was active day and night and was eating freeze dried blood worms every day. A couple days ago, I did a full water change. I put him in a large bowl with my black ghost knife, and at one point he jumped out and landed on the floor (about a 3 foot drop.) I know, it was stupid of me not to put a covering over the bowl since fire eels are jumpers. He didn't seem injured or phased by the fall at all though and I had him back in the water in seconds. I put new water in the tank, made sure it was the right temperature, put all the fish back, and added bacteria supplements and water conditioner. Ever since, he hasn't eaten once, he's less active, and he keeps trying to burrow into the gravel, which he never used to do. Should I be concerned? Should I try a different food? Why is he trying to burrow? I'm new to owning a fire eel so try not to judge me too hard haha
Maybe next time tell the full story at the beginning

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Also if you want to change substrate fine but wait till your eel settles down first

ballinouttacntrol

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2009
Eugene, Or
Sorry to call you out OP but we told you how to rectify the problem, now it will just take time...

Here was his opening post in another thread about the same eel...

Maybe next time tell the full story at the beginning
100% water change????

I just read the original thread. Does original poster understand that he shouldn't do 100% water change?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
100%?!

?!

Wow, why so much? Are you sure the water parameters are okay? I'd have your LFS test your water because it looks cloudy. Much like the bacterial blooms that come when you have ammonia or nitrite. How long did you acclimate the fish for before putting them back into the tank? Perhaps you pH shocked them. And then there's the fall he took. And yes, spiny eels generally prefer a sandy/muddy bottom to burrow in, though it is often not necessary.

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
your tank does look cloudy water should be crystal clear, you may have not cycled the tank properly. Any fish will not eat in an unproperly cycled tank. Never change more than 25% of the water a week unless this is an old established tank of 6 months or more. Even then there should be no reason for anything more than a 25% water change unless your tank is being over fed.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store